Sky Digital -EXPERTS opinion is needed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
Im sorry about this but I have no idea where else to put this, so I thought I put it in the post of another newbie :-)

Im also in UK and want to get a sky digibox just like David William... I was just wondering tho if I can get any channels from PakSat1 on a sky digibox in the UK? I know nothing about sattelites and their recievers so pls enlighten me.

I would like to get PTV from PakSat1 ... somehow. Its a free channel but I dont know if it can be recieved in the UK.

Any help is welcome, thankyou in advance.

:-hijack Don't hijack other members threads - Start your own.

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
GuerillaTactiks said:
Im sorry about this but I have no idea where else to put this, so I thought I put it in the post of another newbie :-)

Im also in UK and want to get a sky digibox just like David William... I was just wondering tho if I can get any channels from PakSat1 on a sky digibox in the UK? I know nothing about sattelites and their recievers so pls enlighten me.

I would like to get PTV from PakSat1 ... somehow. Its a free channel but I dont know if it can be recieved in the UK.

Any help is welcome, thankyou in advance.
You will have to give us more info.frequency and symbol rate(either 22000 or 27500 only.)Also check if it is KU band or C band.What position is Paksat 1 and are their channels listed as free to view?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The answer is no Im afraid. The satellite you are after is at 38deg East and C band only.

However Ptv Prime is available FTA on 13deg east 10949V 27500 which you can get.

rgds

L.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
Thanks simonskyman and Lancelot.

PakSat is C band 38 degrees east like Lancelot said. So I know I cant get that now... but Lancelot says I can get PTV Prime which is 13 deg east.

So what sort of range (degrees) does it have to be between for it to be available in the UK? And also im confused about the symbol rates... I found where it says 10949V for PTV Prime on Hotbird 4 at lyngSat http://www.lyngsat.com/hb4.html ... but I dont know how Lancelot knows its at 27500 symbol rate.

Also I guess all the ones that say DVB are not encrypted and are free to air... is this correct?

One more question is that if I flick through the channels on the 13 degrees sattelites (hotbirds) there are LOTS of channels, and when I see on some websites the list of channels I can get on a sky digibox its much smaller, why is this?

Thankyou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
And I just read that part about hijacking the thread, Im really sorry about that, and I promise in future I wont hijack anyones thread.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
GuerillaTactiks said:
but Lancelot says I can get PTV Prime which is 13 deg east.
So what sort of range (degrees) does it have to be between for it to be available in the UK?

If you have clear line of sight and no trees and buildings in the way the arc described in the sky known as the Clarke Curve allows people in the UK to receive transmissions from approx 60East to 60West.
Further to that there are constraints imposed by dish size as to the amount and quality of signal received.
GuerillaTactiks said:
And also im confused about the symbol rates... I found where it says 10949V for PTV Prime on Hotbird 4 at lyngSat http://www.lyngsat.com/hb4.html ... but I dont know how Lancelot knows its at 27500 symbol rate.

See ellipse in red in picture
GuerillaTactiks said:
Also I guess all the ones that say DVB are not encrypted and are free to air... is this correct?

Yes the background colour also is an indication

GuerillaTactiks said:
One more question is that if I flick through the channels on the 13 degrees sattelites (hotbirds) there are LOTS of channels, and when I see on some websites the list of channels I can get on a sky digibox its much smaller, why is this?
That is because a Sky box can only receive channels with a Symbol Rate of 27500 and 22000 I believe whereas if you look again at 13deg on lyngsat and many other satellites there is a vast range of SR's which a non digibox receiver can search for

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
Aha, thanks for that info toppervte33h, it was very to the point.

Back to PTV on PakSat1 ... Lancelot said it was 38 degrees east, that falls within the range toppervte33h said (60 E - 60 W) ... so the reason Lancelot said I couldnt get it is because of the symbol rate that sky digiboxes cannot recieve?

Paksat1 on lyngsat : http://www.lyngsat.com/pak1.html

So does that means if there is a reciever out there (I dont know any) that can recieve the symbol rate for PTV on Paksat1 then it would be possible to receive it?

The symbol rate I think is 3255-3/4 but I dont know if thats the right value.

Does anyone know why

[PTV Lahore test card]

is in grey text on that page... and why test card?

So many questions I have, pls if u have time answer them.

Thankyou

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
GuerillaTactiks said:
Aha, thanks for that info toppervte33h, it was very to the point.
You are welcome

GuerillaTactiks said:
Back to PTV on PakSat1 ... Lancelot said it was 38 degrees east, that falls within the range toppervte33h said (60 E - 60 W) ... so the reason Lancelot said I couldnt get it is because of the symbol rate that sky digiboxes cannot recieve So does that means if there is a reciever out there (I dont know any) that can recieve the symbol rate for PTV on Paksat1 then it would be possible to receive it??
No it would not be possible with this equipment, Lancelot explained that the channel you are after is in C band all the transmissions we watch are in Ku band. Different kit, dish lnb receiver etc.

GuerillaTactiks said:
Does anyone know why
[PTV Lahore test card]
is in grey text on that page... and why test card?

Basically because there are not permanent transmissions, but I doubt they could be received in the UK as they are on the North Beam and althought the footprint cannot be viewed ATM (broken link) It suggests to me that you would need a gigantic dish but would only in the end receive intermittant test card transmissions, but as regards the symbol rate yes that bit you are correct

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Apart from the transmission being in C band, the beam issue still arises.

Imagine the satellite is a torch in space. Although it is located at a point in space which you can see, the the 'beam' is pointing at Pakistan and not illuminating th UK at all. This happens with a lot of satellites, so although 38E is visible to us the beam is not.

Hope this helps :)

L.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
Lancelot - Very clear post, thanks ... I understand.

2 Things ... firstly is it possible to get C band equipment and use it effectively in the UK? And 2nd the beam says "north" in the PTV channel row... this doesnt at all get processed in my head... so where is north? Earth north? Like Lancelot said its pointing towards pakistan, so is that north?

Thankyou

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Lines of longitude are measured from the Greenwich meridian at longitude zero degrees. Thus around the rest of the earth are lines of longitude similar to the segments of an orange. In total they add up to 360 degrees. Thus the further east from Greenwich you go the value of degrees East increases. So 38 degrees East is on a segment line which passes through Ethiopia, Thus a beam spreading out from there to the North would be nowhere near the UK. If you have a decent PC why not download Google earth it provides a good understanding of how all this relates together. As you can see here the "beam" or footprint goes nowhere near the UK.
As regards C band equipment some people have the equipment so it must be possible to buy it perhaps someone else can help there

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
toppervte33h - Understood, but I checked on Google Earth and NASA World Wind (Like Google Earth) both of which I have installed, and you are right 38 E goes right through the middle of ethiopia ... but if the PAKSAT 1 sattelite is at 38E and the beam is north ... then the countries that are north of ethiopia are Eritrea, saudia arabia, jordan etc ... And it misses the UK like you said, but it also misses Pakistan, so how do people there get it? Obviously they get it so Im confused somewhere here... so pls tell me where Im going wrong.

Thankyou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
UK
Ive just seen ur link that says "here" again ... and had the thought it might be to do with earths tilt sideways... is it that?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
GuerillaTactiks said:
Ive just seen ur link that says "here" again ... and had the thought it might be to do with earths tilt sideways... is it that?

Nope - its all to do with transmission downlink properties (directions and powers.)

the Paksat website shows there is plenty of coverage into Pakistan and northern India.

http://www.paksat.com.pk/eirp_C2.htm

And none into the UK.

Paksat 1 was formaerly Anotolia 1 slotted at 50E, and it had analogue Ku band test transmissions. They were an easy catch in the UK - I got the test card on a 60 cm dish!