Sky Dish Alignment

siroccoman

Reaction score
Hi All, only found this site tonight, so PROBABLY this question has been asked before and answered elsewhere, but there is a lot of archive threads to trawl through, so please accept my apologies in advance for sounding 'vague'.
I have just sold a motorhome that had a Oyster self seek sta tv system in it - VERY EASY. My new caravan (dont ask, long story) has only got a Pace Mini Box, and a 64cm dish on tripod. How easy is it to align the dish to SKY sats? I will be travelling in various parts of UK? Do i need a meter and if so what do you recommend?
Many thanks for anticipated help,
Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It isn't too difficult once you've done it a few times Dave, a compass and a satbeeper or swinging needle type meter will do the job.

siroccoman

Reaction score
Hi Rolf, thanks for that:) . Is the up & down angle different in various parts of UK, or is a a set angle? What roughly is it (if it differs) so as to give me something to start with:confused .
Thanks again
Dave

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it does vary, it gets lower the further north you go. In the south, a minidish face is pretty much vertical, as is a standard 60cm (there is some variation between different manufacturers), the further North you go, the dish face will appear to pointing downwards.

Go to www.smw.se and download the Swedish Microwave calculator, then go to www.heavens-above.com and look up the coordinates of the place you will be visiting, you can then enter the coordinates into the calculator along with the satellite you are trying to find and it will give you Azimuth, Elevation and LNB skew.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
In the UK on a standard Astra dish shape (elliptical), the face of the dish would be almost vertical, when looking at at the 28.2 degree satellite. A plumb line will allow you to set this.

This should give you one less adjustment to think about when you park up.