Sky dish price

Xiaomi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyQ & Saorsat
My Location
NI
Hi,

I'm putting in SkyQ and am thinking of putting in a solid dish instead of their rusty standard OEM dish - if it was cheap enough.
Can anyone inform me how much I'd expect to pay for a solid 60cm dish?

I wanted my independent installer to set up the dishes, but Sky say this is not allowed. Any way around this?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
how much I'd expect to pay for a solid 60cm dish?
Sometimes they cost absolutely nothing. If you wish I can send you one for price of shipping. Look in local classifieds for bargains.

A

archive10

Sometimes they cost absolutely nothing. If you wish I can send you one for price of shipping. Look in local classifieds for bargains.
You generally get what you pay for.
60 cm steel dishes can be real cheap, you can probably order one for, say, 25 GBP + shipping from e.g. Germany.
Performance and longevity may vary.
I buy Telesystem 80cm dishes really cheap, but eg Triax cost more, Gibertini even more.
If you want aluminum (no rust) it's slightly more again, but still manageable.

But be aware that the Sky Q LNBs have a custom feedhorn with an illumination pattern that matches the Sky supplied dishes (oval), so your round "normal" dish may not make a huge difference in reception.
When the Sky installer does the install, Sky warrants reception. This is why they won't let you use your own dish. Too much variation possible.

But, a question begs: Why do you need the bigger dish?
Astra 2 at 28.35 +/- 1.5 is strong in most of UK, so a standard Sky dish will work well (in the average life-span of your Sky subscription).
IMHO: If you want to experiment with multi-LNB configuration on the dish etc, this is possible with mixing the Sky LNB with other LNBs on a normal dish, but it is generally much easire to leave the Sky dish for what it is, and then run everything else off the other dish.

Disclaimer: I don't currently live in the UK, nor am I a professional Sky installer. Therefore there may be other, more knowledgeable member of this forum who knows more detail about the situation. Please chip in if you want.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
There is dish I could give away. It is only 55cm and not listed in the list of my antennas. Of course, nobody will like to have it for the price of shipping. Therefore it will be used as fireplace or will go directly to the garbage. If somebody likes LNB-holder, you can have it. IMG_20180528_215532 (Large).jpg

A

archive10

There is dish I could give away. It is only 55cm and not listed in the list of my antennas. Of course, nobody will like to have it for the price of shipping. Therefore it will be used as fireplace or will go directly to the garbage. If somebody likes LNB-holder, you can have it. View attachment 117762
Very generous of you. But as you say, shipping is probably more than what a new dish sourced locally would be.

And keep in mind that you can probably do 28.2 off a pan-lid (I think @Captain Jack actually tried uccessfully at one point?)

So, it would be great if OP could be more specific of what the requirements beyond a Sky dish are...

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
There is very little wrong with the current dishes Sky provide - they are a lot more durable than those a few years ago. IIRC they are Triax. They will also perform as well as a 60cm standard dish as you will be using Sky's lnb designed for the horizontally oval Sky dish and not really suitable for standard dishes which give either higher noise figures (from seeing outside the dish) or lower signal than a standard lnb as the Sky lnb would not see all of the standard dish. This is down to the oval shaping of the "throat" of the lnb compared with the circular standard lnb.

Take the no extra charge one they provide

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
But be aware that the Sky Q LNBs have a custom feedhorn with an illumination pattern that matches the Sky supplied dishes (oval), so your round "normal" dish may not make a huge difference in reception.

Disclaimer: I don't currently live in the UK, nor am I a professional Sky installer. Therefore there may be other, more knowledgeable member of this forum who knows more detail about the situation. Please chip in if you want.

Some innovative members on the forum have cut the feed from offset LNBs and adapted a prime focus version, which would open up the possibility of using a multitude of older dishes that would normally have no use in today's throwaway world.

Xiaomi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyQ & Saorsat
My Location
NI
Thanks for the replies.

The only reason I was thinking of changing it was due to their proneness to rusting. For the sake of ~£40 I would have replaced with a better quality dish.
This Sky dish would have a Sky Hybrid LNB only. My other thread asking about multi LNB's on a dish was a back up idea if the installer was not available for the Saorsat install.
current plan is two separate dishes - this one for Sky and another dish for Saorsat.