Sky + Freeview

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Up and running -> FR Penta 85 dish, TM-02 twin LNB, TM-2300 motor, TM-5200D receiver
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Hi All,

A friend of mine was asking me can he add a freeview box onto his Sky dish and what extra channels he can get?

Could somebody tell me what you can do with a Sky setup for more channels. He want to keep his Sky sports but would like extra channels.

Can you add an extra freeveiw LNB onto the dish...Is this possible?

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You are getting your terms mixed up!

Freeview = dtt via the aerial.
Freesat = free channels via satellite dish
FreesatfromSky =free channels for one off payment of 20 quid to sky for half a dozen extra channels (Fiver / +1 Five USA / + Sky 3)

Its not possible to fit a Freeview box to a satellite dish

If he wants to keep his sports then he has already got access to all the Freesat channels.

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Up and running -> FR Penta 85 dish, TM-02 twin LNB, TM-2300 motor, TM-5200D receiver
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Ok thanks,

I thought I came across something on this forum before about adding an extra Lnb to a Sky dish to pick up 19E or maybe Im wrong?

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Meath, Ireland
LoMax said:
Ok thanks,

I thought I came across something on this forum before about adding an extra Lnb to a Sky dish to pick up 19E or maybe Im wrong?

Am i confusing this with Astra 1 and Hotbird?

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Thats something different! :D

Ahh...so you can do something :confused

Tell me more, tell me more :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
LoMax said:
Ok thanks,

In general terms, its possible to fit extra LNBs to Dishes to get additional Satellites - but even to get another strong Satellite like 19.2E you'd need (probably) at least a 60cm Dish as an offset LNB isn't as efficient as one at the focal point.

What attracts you to 19.2E?

If you want to sample the delights of multi-Sat, then Hotbird at 13E probably provides a wider range of stuff.

It would actually be easier to acquire another small Dish/LNB to play around away from 28E.

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Tivù said:
In general terms, its possible to fit extra LNBs to Dishes to get additional Satellites - but even to get another strong Satellite like 19.2E you'd need (probably) at least a 60cm Dish as an offset LNB isn't as efficient as one at the focal point.

What attracts you to 19.2E?

If you want to sample the delights of multi-Sat, then Hotbird at 13E probably provides a wider range of stuff.

It would actually be easier to acquire another small Dish/LNB to play around away from 28E.

There is no attraction to 19E...I just thought it would be easiest to pick up using a sky dish! Im probably wrong again :confused

I know nothing about Sky so just wanted to find out what options there are with the sky dish?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
To be honest you are better off picking up a scrap Sky minidish off the side of the road or out of a skip & tinker with that - its much easier to fabricate a temporary mount than to lash up extra lnb's.

Also buy a cheap free to air box

BTW - Aldi are selling cheap kits for about 50 quid this weekend. The dishes arent up to much but are ok for experimenting with.

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Thanks guys...I'll recommend this for a starter.