sky hd compatable recievers

Albop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new here
My Location
glasgow
hi im thinking about getting sky hd is there any compatable recievers out there as i dont really fancy paying the £300 cheers in advance

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Albop said:
hi im thinking about getting sky hd is there any compatable recievers out there as i dont really fancy paying the £300 cheers in advance

Can I just ask why you would rather pay £300 on an non-sky box rather than just pay the £300 for the sky box? :confused

(yes, they're not cheap, yet, well, the Pace DS180XE is cheaper now, but it won't work with sky HD, the same as other non-sky HD boxes)

But when you think about it, there's very little UK HD stuff at the moment, so personally I'd reccomend waiting a year or two before shelling out the money, just like with sky+, the price should drop as the technology develops (and sky work out any bugs in the boxes!!!)... :D

Albop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new here
My Location
glasgow
thanks for the reply, what about if i buy the sky hd box from somewhere else are they easy too install , is it just a twin lnb u run from the dish too the box

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Albop said:
thanks for the reply, what about if i buy the sky hd box from somewhere else are they easy too install , is it just a twin lnb u run from the dish too the box

Not sure where you can get a new unsubbed box from (ebay I suppose), but yes it's easy to set up as it's like a sky+ box with just two inputs from the dish (use a quad though, you never know when you might want to add another HD or sky+ box or two SD sky boxes, or even a real satellite box!!! :D )...

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Albop said:
You didn't say what you hoped to achieve from an unsubbed box ..... what do you hope for?

corvettez91

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
my sat
My Location
canada
hi guys can i get sky tv from Canada??

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
corvettez91 said:

Hi!

Sure you can...if you have a 25 meter dish......:p

The signals are way to weak, even with a really big dish (7 meters) it would be a real shot in the dark and you next door neighbours would be a little bit annoyed for blocking all that sunshine that they use to have before you totally eclipsed them with your huge dish! Also, the angle of which the footprint is transmitted to earth makes it almost unreceivable in North America. Even if you did put up a 25m dish, you still would need a European receiver, as the North American channels that you receive have different polarities(circular Left; Circular Right). But still check with your neighbours before putting up that dish.....

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
how it looks,about ip tv plans from sky in the future,are they any?

in italy,i can subrsibe sky italia,over ip tv,a friend from neaples in south italy told me,10 mbit line put box to tv,conect to television,and finish you need no dish!

elloco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
he@d
My Location
SPAIN
How do I get Sky
which Satelite I need to point to
and how to I get the kays for it

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Sky cannot be hacked, there are no keys on the internet ( I think this is what you mean), unlike Digital + in Spain.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
corvettez91 said:
Even in the most eastern city in Canada, Saint Johns, Astra 2 is 2 degrees below the horizon, the largest dish in the world would not pick it up. Sorry!

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
You have two options and one oher to receive SKY HD :

1. There are SKY HD boxes around for £210, unsubsidised. As new with warranty. Have one myself and excellent. Obviously you would have to subscribe.

2. There are various HD boxes around with CI modules, around £110 but you would require a dragon CAM around £60.

These are two good options, I do however agree with the other member that it is best to wait i.e. channel 4 launches in december, others wil follow suit, box prices will fall and the software will get better!!