SKy HD - Will Video Component Work

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
I bioght a Sony LCD TV last year. Model KLV26HG2. The manual says it is HD Ready. This is before the HD Logos were announced. It has no HDMI or DVI connections at the bacl of the television. The display resulotion is 1,280 pixels (horizontal) and 768 lines (vertical).

Also Sky HD will be available via Component Video. What is a Comp;onet Lead? On the manual the component connections are for Y,Pb,Pr. Please help. Thank you. Also are there others in the same boat as me?

Shahid

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
If a tv screen does not have a hdmi or dvi socket, then it is NOT Hd ready!

The Sky HD receiver also outputs via Scart, and a UHF aerial connection. However, only standard resolution pictures are viewable in this way, in which case there's no point at all in having a HD satellite receiver.

The Sky receiver does have component video outputs, which will connect to your tv, but the HDCP copy protect system - installed on all HD ready stuff - means you might still only get standard resolution (depending on when and whether HDCP gets "switched on").

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Shahid said:
What is a Comp;onet Lead? On the manual the component connections are for Y,Pb,Pr.

An analogue component lead is simply three separate RCA cables that are usually 'glued' together as one set (coloured red, green, blue). These connect the luminance (Y) and the two separate colour components (Pb/Pr) from one device to another device.

Component has the posibility to handle signals up to HD either in interlaced or progressive scan modes.

While the SKY HD box will support Analogue Component - they would prefer you to use the HDMI output.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
Quote "Component has the posibility to handle signals up to HD either in interlaced or progressive scan modes"

So the Skys 720p will work via Video Component until they switch over to HDMI in a few years?.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Shahid said:
So the Skys 720p will work via Video Component until they switch over to HDMI in a few years?.

AFAIK the answer is yes. The spec for Analogue Component allows for 720p and higher. HDMI is available as another output option. Albeit, I don't think you can hook-up to (and use) both outputs at the same time ;)

SKY may decide to limit the number of outputs on future generation HD set-top boxes: there are no switch-over plans as such.

I reckon that for some time, and for maximum compatibility, Analogue Component will always be a useful friend.

Mark.

[edit] If you have a car, the time and some guts - I would take your monitor down to a quiet SKY retailer (phone beforehand) and get them to check it out.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The analogue component connection will "support" all HD video modes, since it's actually 3 analogue video signals, with only the sync pulse timings being different for each video format! So yes, you'd get maximum resolution, depending how good the connecting cables are (high frequency rolloff).

However, when HDCP is "switched on", then the HD receiver will only output a reduced resolution standard def picture from the component outputs. When/if Sky will do this, I've no idea, but I'd have thought that the HD programme providors would insist on it!

For more info, see my HD guide and scroll down to "copy protection", near the end, in particular see the links there.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
spiney said:
The analogue component connection will "support" all HD video modes, since it's actually 3 analogue video signals, with only the sync pulse timings being different for each video format! So yes, you'd get maximum resolution, depending how good the connecting cables are (high frequency rolloff).

However, when HDCP is "switched on", then the HD receiver will only output a reduced resolution standard def picture from the component outputs. When/if Sky will do this, I've no idea, but I'd have thought that the HD programme providors would insist on it!

For more info, see my HD guide and scroll down to "copy protection", near the end, in particular see the links there.

Points taken spiney. Its early days, but, if its any consolation to Shahid, this is what SKY have said.

If the Customer’s TV is NOT HD Ready but has component video connections, a suitable lead can be used to watch all the channels included in the Sky HD service at launch.

If SKY want to increase churn ten-fold they'll implement HDCP on every HD channel. I reckon many who will sign-up to SKY HD will have non HDCP compliant kit. As such, I'll hazzard a guess that SKY will only zap HDCP on the movie channels - as and when it suits them (much like their Macrovision policy).

Mark.

Totally OT. BlueRay announced that their discs will NOT employ the forced down-res rule on the component o/p (for the time being). I'll just add: think of a company that pushed expensive plasmas and LCD's to the masses a few years back (without HDCP support) - also owns two movie studios - and is a founder of BlueRay? That's right, SONY. Since Sony have done enough to piss people off with DRM restrictions - their BlueRay announcement comes as a pleasant suprise:D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes mlj, presumably that means full resolution, not sd downgraded? Sky's wording isn't clear, which makes me suspicious!

Yes, Sony have produced Blu Ray players sans HDCP. Because, you'd only - strictly - need it in the recording version!