SKY in, aham, New York

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
regular dish
My Location
USA
Hey all

I was wondering, if someone gets a SKY box complete with an account, decoder, etc. Is it possible to hook it up to a regular dish and receive SKY signal ? I know Hotbird is waaay off from NY but I heard something about picking up a signal from some other bird ?

thanks

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
not possible i'm afraid you will need to subscribe to the pay tv channels of direct tv etc if you want more channels

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
SKY Italia comes from Hotbird, but sky UK comes from Astra2, both of which are not accessible, as Wod says, in the US, and as DirecTV probably carries the same TV shows, then there's little point in even trying... :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
regular dish
My Location
USA
I see. I have some friends, one in japan and one in Brasil who somehow manage to patch the signal from some other bird. All they did is they bought a skybox, paying monthly fees [ in italy ] and now have access to all the italian league soccer matches, which are not shown in direct tv nor dish ....
I understand Astra mirrors Sky for the UK, are there any other birds who would do the same ? Would you know of any place I could find that out ?
Thanks for the input
Best

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
BSkyB on Astra 28.2 East is not the same as Sky Italia on Hotbird 13 East (Sky Italia came much later) and neither can be received by satellite in the US, Japan or Brazil, also, as far as I know, the services are not "mirrored" on any other satellites, although some local providers may show some of the content. If you have a contact in Italy with Broadband, then get them to subscribe and install a slingbox, then you can watch the italian channels on your PC, you will of course need a broadband connection also.

Find out your longitude, and then look at this link http://www.lyngsat.com/, if you look at the satellites 60 degrees either side of your longitude, it will tell you exactly what is being transmitted and to which areas. The transmission footprints can be found by clicking on the link in the far right column of the satellite channel lists.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
internazionale100 said:
I see. I have some friends, one in japan and one in Brasil who somehow manage to patch the signal from some other bird.

Your friends must be extremely clever people

internazionale100 said:
All they did is they bought a skybox, paying monthly fees [ in italy ] and now have access to all the italian league soccer matches, which are not shown in direct tv nor dish ....
Perhaps they are using a slingbox!

internazionale100 said:
I understand Astra mirrors Sky for the UK, are there any other birds who would do the same ? Would you know of any place I could find that out ?
Thanks for the input
Best
Nope SKY UK is only transmitted on 28.2 East and nowhere else plus it is totally secure so I fail to see what your friends are referring to.

alecioba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cw-800
My Location
brasil/usa
i do know that some guys in south florida have sky using a 6 ft dish

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
alecioba said:
i do know that some guys in south florida have sky using a 6 ft dish

SKy Brazil off 43W maybe:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skybrazil.html

but certainly not either of the European services.

Prodelin

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Tunisia, Prince Of Persia
Maybe with a 8 meter dish or larger, Schumacher in Brazil is getting Astra 19.2 East with a 8 meter dish, people told him it would be impossible to receive Astra.

But i guess a 8 meter dish is not suitable where you live now.