sky in russia

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have 2.1meter dish with 2in1 head for www & tv, Sky UK sat box (think its amstrad), computer is gateway laptop w/ XP
My Location
Tver, Russia
hi.. um..i've tried everything to get the sky+ box w/ its card, working here in tver, russia. its about 2 hr west of moscow, as for as fringe location is concerned. i have 210cm dish atop a 9 story building, with a 60mm LNB which is sum type of converter according to local "sputnik" master. there is approx 30 meters of co-ax from there to the sky+ box as i live on the fifth floor. still "no sat signal received". i've tried the code into the remote control as someone here suggested but the pattern of the code was not the same menu options on my screen as were per the instructions, but regardless that didn't work. im desperate now, not to have wasted soo much money and time into this, not to mention i've 2.5 years left at med school here and would be with-out words to express my appreciation if i could get this to work..having the english language and watching sum footy would be simply incredible. alas i must ship this box back to UK if i can't get this project working..this is my last attempt, ..is there any way i could open the box up and switch/rig this thing up to work?? thanx in advance, darin

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You are WELL outside the official coverage area of the "UK satellites" You would probably require a dish quite a bit bigger to stand any chance - even then you wouldn t get half the channels due to north and south beams being in use, and you certainly wouldnt get any of the Astra 2D channels (BBC ITV & C4)

To watch a bit of UK telly try this site

-http://streamick.com/index.php?tv=bbcone

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You should get some bits and pieces with a 2m dish according to a couple of old threads, you may need to change the default transponder though. you do that in the installer menu. Services, system setup, 0, 1, select.

Did the guy who aligned the dish confirm that he was receiving Astra 28.2 and give you any channels as reference?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Astra 2 can be received in Tver with a good 2m dish.

You need to go look for somebody else with a similar sized dish pointing in the same direction and ask them what channels they can get.

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
have 2.1meter dish with 2in1 head for www & tv, Sky UK sat box (think its amstrad), computer is gateway laptop w/ XP
My Location
Tver, Russia
hi, well, he says it was tuned to the frequency that was listed on some other website, and using his old "oscilloscope" looking receiver box i was able to see bbc parliament and some other free to air channels, and it showed that i could receive some bbc tv-radio stations like bbc england, bbc scotland, bbc wales, etc. but my sky box has never shown a signal being received.

sounds like i have to give this up and learn to speak russian! lol, but i would have luved to seen some english and scottish footy!

thanx to u, and all have tried to help!
darin

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
if Astra 2 is received, does that mean the sky+ should work just like in UK?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try using 12207V as a default transponder and see if it shows a signal.

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
nope. no sat signal being received at 12207v...

new Q..should i need to make any changes to the LNB set-up? because it is now set to "standard" how ever the latest LNB which was installed was some type of "converter" LNB??

cheers, darin

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
dear ROLFW,,,well big thanx my friend! i got sum success with that frequency! (12207v)

non of the bbc or itv channels came in, they all have the blue sky tv screen with "no sat signal received"..but many others came in clear as a bell!
well, the bbc news did come in, as did sky news, and cnn, but not fox news..none of the sky movies or sky sports came in though, which is what my question is about..

those channels dont say "no sat signal", they say that "the sky card is not correct for this receiver box"..but this card & box i brought from scotland directly after having them activated together, at which time they were working 100% just like the sky boxes in two other rooms in our house..soo my question is, do you think changing the frequency to 12207 in the default transponder setting has caused this? because for SURE i know this to be the correct card for this box.

also, can i permanently change this transponder setting cause although i "save settings" after pressing 12207, when i have turned off the box and then powered back up, it goes back to original 11.747 (?? something like that not 100% sure)

big BIG thanx, cause it is now, the sky radio stations are coming in and i can at least listen to some football!
cheers m8, darin

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
darin73 said:
those channels dont say "no sat signal", they say that "the sky card is not correct for this receiver box"..but this card & box i brought from scotland directly after having them activated together, at which time they were working 100% just like the sky boxes in two other rooms in our house..soo my question is, do you think changing the frequency to 12207 in the default transponder setting has caused this? because for SURE i know this to be the correct card for this box.

No, changing the default transponder won't change the card settings. If the card was once working with the same box it is a bit odd if it isn't now. Try leaving it on a receivable Sky channel like Sky News over night and see if that helps. If not you may need to get someone in the UK to call Sky and marry the card to the box again.

darin73 said:
also, can i permanently change this transponder setting cause although i "save settings" after pressing 12207, when i have turned off the box and then powered back up, it goes back to original 11.747 (?? something like that not 100% sure)

I don't think you can. If the Sky box can receive the "proper" default transponder (11.778/V) it seems to revert back to that one after a while.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My guess is that the new white card is to blame, if you need to change the default transponder on a paired card, then the pairing is removed for the premium channels as they know that you are no longer in the Astra 2D footprint. From a programming point of view it is hardly rocket science, but yes I admit I am guessing.........as indeed everyone is concerning the white card swapout

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Topper said:
My guess is that the new white card is to blame, if you need to change the default transponder on a paired card, then the pairing is removed for the premium channels as they know that you are no longer in the Astra 2D footprint. From a programming point of view it is hardly rocket science, but yes I admit I am guessing.........as indeed everyone is concerning the white card swapout

I find that hard to imagine. Anyone out there prepared to test this theory on their card? I would, but I don't have premium channels. ;)

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
hi again..i am sooo disappointed..as i wrote above the majority of channels were working fine, including sum sky movies 301,302, and such classic movies 310, news 501-511 but not including fox news 509, sky sports 401-403, all the discovery channels 600~630, and the normal tele channels were hit or miss..with most of the bbc,itv, e4 & more4, channels not working, but many of the sci-fi, hallmark, and other type channels were working fine..in fact i got lots of premireship games, champions league and even old firm games..

well,,as u may have noticed im writing in past tense..about a month ago i was watching a lyon v madrid game..i think it was them, any way all of the sudden i started getting choppy reception, it was late here in russia, so i just switched it off and went to bed..the next day that was the only channel (402) which i could receive.. then i tried messing with the default transponder and now i've lost everything! :((

i cant explain how great it was to have the english channels here in russia, and now there gone after i've taste the success is really super disappointing,,and the thing is i 10000% KNOW it works,,soo how is it not working now?!?!?

well, the screen i have now says..."no satelite signal recieved, un-plug the box from the wall for 1 minute and restart"

well obviously i've tried that but it always comes up the same. ive tried it with both orignal default transponder number 11.778 and the frequeny sum1 sugested here which i know worked of 12.207..well nothing works??
additonally i went up on the roof and all seems to be normal, tight, and exactly as it was after installtion.

again ANY advice would be greatly apprecaited,

ps..i have the white sky card..

cheers,darin

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
my box is absolutely stuck on error message 29... it says "no sat signal received, unplug box from wall for one minute"
does anyone no anything i can try to get my channels working again?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The dish alignment may need checking. With the bigger dishes you only need to be out a fraction to lose signal.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Can't say for twer, but in moscow, 2m is quite enough for most of 28.2E position, except 2D of course. So you better check your alignment.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Bombedone,

What channels cant you get on a 2m? Will 3m work?

Also what receiver are you using? I am off to moscow in a months time. darin73 I may be able to help as long as customs let me bring my speccy analyser!!

Thanks

darin73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tver, Russia
Andy,..and others, thanx for reply.. well, i had a "sputnik" master do the installation.. so as far as realignment i would need sum help with that..i checked the dish set up a month ago and everything seemed tight..actually the bolts and nuts for positioning are quite large (because the dish size) soo i would be surprised if it would move..then again, it is over 2m (i measured 210cm diam) and its quite a wind drag on top of my flat building (9th floor) there were sum really windy storm days that i expected to see it lying on someones car one morning!

as far as customs,,well, i have never been checked at domedevedo or sheremetovo airports,,and its gotta be 8-10 flights in & out of those airports.. as far as "speccy analyser" well it might as well be a flux capacitor from back to the future! i've no idea what that means..(obviously it analyzes something..well i'd think! but not sure which is my point!) but if you let me know you travel plans,,or i should say free time in russia, feel free to drop me an email, we can grab a pint m8! i've just learned of an irish pub in Arbbat street in mockBa..anyway, tver is about 2.5 hrs from moscow, and u are more than welcome here,,though its a smaller city of about 0.5milllion people..still should be quite nice weather while your here =)..

ps...how can i re-align a dish on my own?

BIG cpacebo,
darin