SKY+ Install Query

J

JohnK

Hi

Apologies if this seems a stupid question, I currently have an 85cm dish with a monoblock LNB for Astra1 and Hotbird and a single LNB for Sky Digital, I was thinking of getting a SKY+ box and was wondering if the installer will merely replace the single LNB with a Dual LNB for the SKY+ STB.

Has anyone had this done and can they foresee a problem

Many Thanks

JohnK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky installer will be unlikely to have a twin or Quad LNb which will fit your dish JohnK, they only carry the type designed to fit a minidish. Some of them can be used as they still have a 40mm collar, but they are not really designed for your dish.

The installers can be a bit "jobsworth" sometimes, so may or may not try to fit the LNB.

The only other way is to buy a standard quad LNb, fit it yourself and then get the LNB off of the Sky installer and sell it on eBay to try and recover the extra outlay.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
A Sky installer will expect to find a Sky minidish.The twin lnb he will bring will be for a Sky minidish,and has a specific fitting for this.If you can pre warn the installer that it is a normall dish he may bring a normal twin lnb................best of luck...........brian

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
You just beat me to it rolf,...............brian

J

JohnK

rolfw said:
The Sky installer will be unlikely to have a twin or Quad LNb which will fit your dish JohnK, they only carry the type designed to fit a minidish. Some of them can be used as they still have a 40mm collar, but they are not really designed for your dish.

The installers can be a bit "jobsworth" sometimes, so may or may not try to fit the LNB.

The only other way is to buy a standard quad LNb, fit it yourself and then get the LNB off of the Sky installer and sell it on eBay to try and recover the extra outlay.

Rolf

Is it easy enough to replace, or would the Sky Installer fit one if I buy it.

JohnK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they are a doddle, normally just two screws in the holder and a bit of self amalgamating tape to remove, unscrew the "F" connector, swap them over, replace the "F" connector and a new bit of tape and then wait for the Sky installer to arrive and run the extra cable. :)

PS. If you do it on the same day as the Sky installer is arriving, you can use his self amalgamating tape. :)

PPS. You will probably need to fine tune the Skew, but the installer can do that with his meter.

J

JohnK

Rolf

Thanks for your help, final question, do you have any recommendations for the twin LNB makes, sites to buy from etc

JohnK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
I've already got 2 sky boxes attached to a twin LNB, I'm getting Sky+ next week so the installer will have to bring a quad LNB, how do i pre warn the installer?

cheers
Raz.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
raz247 said:
I've already got 2 sky boxes attached to a twin LNB, I'm getting Sky+ next week so the installer will have to bring a quad LNB, how do i pre warn the installer?

cheers
Raz.

You don't need to warn him. The SKY+ box comes with a quad lnb.

Methos.

J

JohnK

Finally got Sky+ installed yesterday after a bit of a pallava, phoned Sky and warned them of the LNB situation and they advised twice that their installer would bring a universal LNB to fit the dish otherwise I would have bought the bloody thing myself upfront, needless to say when the installer turned up he didn't have the universal LNB, bought one of the net as advised and yesterday the box was fitted. Have to say I'm pretty impressed so far about the functionality which will be even better when the dual recording functionality goes live (god I must get out more!!)

JohnK (away to the Pub)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, all's well taht ends well John, just got back from the pub myself. :-cheers :)