Sky Italia channels disappearing.

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
To cut a long story short.

We have an official Sky Italia sub and box.

The box is the Samsung one (non-HD) -http://www.sky.it/corporate/pagine/area_clienti/assistenza_supporto/schede/decoder_samsung_dolby/scheda_decoder_tab2.shtml

This afternoon our smart card number flashed up at the top right hand side of the screen and then disappeared only to reappear. This kept happening. I thought nothing of it presuming they were checking the validity of the card. Unfortunately all the SKY channels disappeared and only the free-to-air channels would show.

I decided to do a software update on the box and it has brought back the channels. However the smart card number has shown up again so I am predicting we are going to lose the channels.

Has anyone any solution for why this is happening?

Updating the software is clearly a short term fix. I will phone my contact in Italy during the week at some point and check if theres been a new card issued or we have to change our box. The box is still listed on the site though!

Im tempted next time it happens to leave the box running for a while and see if the channels come back down. Unfortunately my hands are tied until we contact Italy so I thought Id try here for some insight. Luckily I will be returning to Italy in 2 or 3 months time so I can sort anything major in person.

Thanks for any reply.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sky have been doing some investigations of Sky Italia installs in pubs - they flash the vc number up then get the cards disabled. :D

Probably just a side issue from that investigation.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
The skycard number display is an anti-piracy measure aimed at pubs (so they can easily be identified). I don't know why the channels should disappear, perhaps the internal modem is attempting to poll the Sky server.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
I should have noticed:

Thread Information
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)
Low Profile Analoguesat

:)

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
Thanks for the speedy reply guys!

Right so the fact our system is legit (apart from the grey area of it being watched in the UK) ... hopefully we can just ride this out?!!

Next time it happens I will leave the system on for a bit and see if it self corrects.

I really dont fancy constantly doing a software update!

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
Low Profile said:
The skycard number display is an anti-piracy measure aimed at pubs (so they can easily be identified). I don't know why the channels should disappear, perhaps the internal modem is attempting to poll the Sky server.

Thats worrying...... do you think in time all SKY Italia boxes will have to be connected via phone line?

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
english sky, spiderbox 7000, 1.1m triax dish with tm2600 motor, Acer Aspire 5542
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, North West England
i saw this on 2 i was watching 1 had the card nmber on screen and the other box had nothing is there away to get it off the screen?

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
jdseasider said:
i saw this on 2 i was watching 1 had the card nmber on screen and the other box had nothing is there away to get it off the screen?

Use an unofficial box

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
Im actually not bothered about the number popping up its the loss of channels thats worrying.

Since the reboot the system is running fine with the full SKY Italia suite we had before. Ive a nasty feeling this issue will occur again though.

I will need to try a few alternatives before taking the extreme measure of a software upgrade again.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
brutaleA said:
Im actually not bothered about the number popping up its the loss of channels thats worrying.

Since the reboot the system is running fine with the full SKY Italia suite we had before. Ive a nasty feeling this issue will occur again though.

I will need to try a few alternatives before taking the extreme measure of a software upgrade again.

A s/w upgrade wont do anyway anyway if its already at the most up to date s/w

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
jdseasider said:

If you are using a Sky italia box then live with it - theres absolutely no way to get rid of it. as its basically an anti piracy / anti box misuse measure.

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
Meglio telefonare ai representativi Sky Italy assistenti e support per cambiare vostro receiver. È una mia idea, perché se fossi io non comprerei Samsung. Avendo uno vecchio, so bene che significa avere dei problemi coi questi tipi di ricevitori. I ricevitori SKy avendo HD che si chiamano il digitale terestiale o qualcosa cosi sono meglio di samsung.

RB

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
Analoguesat said:
A s/w upgrade wont do anyway anyway if its already at the most up to date s/w

Agreed - however this appeared to be the only way to retrieve the channels sadly. I will need to leave it alone for a period of time when it next happens to see if they return.

Last night the number flashed up during an EPL game but disappeared when I went to the movie channels. No coincidence then as I suspect they would be clamping down on English football; being the most sought after.

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
d122k7trb said:
Meglio telefonare ai representativi Sky Italy assistenti e support per cambiare vostro receiver. È una mia idea, perché se fossi io non comprerei Samsung. Avendo uno vecchio, so bene che significa avere dei problemi coi questi tipi di ricevitori. I ricevitori SKy avendo HD che si chiamano il digitale terestiale o qualcosa cosi sono meglio di samsung.

RB

We can only change the box while on holiday over in Italy Im afraid so phoning SKY Italia would serve no purpose from the UK.

I take your point about the Samsung receiver and older models - thanks!

jdseasider

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
english sky, spiderbox 7000, 1.1m triax dish with tm2600 motor, Acer Aspire 5542
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, North West England
is it true u can use if technomate with software on it and wen italia card is in it doesnt flag up the card number

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with some sort of in line modulator that generates a signal to blank out the card number. Then again, having a permanently blanked off part of the screen might get a bit too annoying.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Low Profile said:
I think it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with some sort of in line modulator that generates a signal to blank out the card number. Then again, having a permanently blanked off part of the screen might get a bit too annoying.

Just seen this in a pub, it's just above the Sky Sports/Calcio logo, so if you use the zoom function on your tv it should cut it off and still look ok

jimbo10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky +
My Location
uk
Hi does anyone know if the card number definitely will not show if you use a non sky italia box?
and any recomendations as I have not bought one yet, and I intended to use it in public in my cafe, I don`t want to invest in the kit only for someone to walk in and use this number to turn off my card. thanks Jimbo

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
I watched the full Serie A card this weekend and the number did not appear once.

Either my update has sorted it (unlikely) or its just EPL games this check occurs during. Truthfully I only care for Serie A so if this is the case Im not particularly bothered.

brutaleA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY Italia
My Location
Glasgow
Since the update Ive not had the number flash up once :confused

In saying that as I said I rarely watch EPL.

Will keep monitoring it but at the moment it looks like the update solved it. I am a bit miffed though that an official card would lose the channels like that.