sky picture quality??

O

onlineheat01

im just about to subscribe to sky but befor i do id thought id ask what the generall quality of the picture is usually like.
so is it better that dtt?
better than analogue?
better than all other tv services?

thanks in advance
onlineheat01
:p

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In my opinion its not better than a well set up analogue picture, but it is generally better than the DTT pictures.

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
That's very subjective. I have to disagree with Rolf, because I have a perfect DTT picture, and as far as I am concerned all 3 (analogue, DTT and Dsat) are excellent.

What is certain however, is just about anybody should be able to get a perfect Dsat signal, providing you have the right size dish for your location and it is set up properly. The same cannot be said for DTT or ATT.

Most people will be happy with the picture from Dsat, though on other forums I have heard people criticise certain makes of digibox for having a "soft" picture. If that's really what they found, then it's not the technology at fault, but either a poor digibox, or poor setup.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Agreed that with a still picture there is very little difference ProDave, where of course the analogue picture has advantages is the lack of artifacts in real action shots. I also believe that the DTT data stream has on some occasions been more highly compressed, thus giving a slightly lesser picture quality.

As you say though, any of the three systems when well set up, with good equipment, produce a very watchable picture and most people will not notice any difference between the three.

Pligs76

Reaction score
My Location
uh::no
Compared to Digtal Sat signals I watch from Astra1 on a Force digital receiver I'll have to say that Sky has the clearest and crispest pictures of all (Grundig 310/2). The LNB used on Astra2 are even of a higher quality.

Pligs76

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

From my experience the '$ky' picture quality varies greatly between stations.

The majors such as BBC, ITV and $ky seem to carry a consitently good quality picture, and the 'orrible little squares only seem to appear when there is a great deal of data due to a raplidly changing picture source - such as rustling leaves or flowing water.

Some of the others have obviously bought a cheaper package, or are trying to push too much through the pipe at the same time, and the quality on some of them in often poor.

I have to say that I prefer to watch a good quality analogue picture, but it is perhaps a subjective matter.

Equipment : Pace DigiBox - B&O LS5500

Regards

W.Hole