Sky Plus Series links on clock change

psbridge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza 450 fitted with PVR, motorised 1 metre dish, Universal lnb.
My Location
Suffolk, UK
Whilst checking various "automatic" clock changes around the house etc I discovered on my Sky Plus box, that all the "series links" in the Sky Planner were 1 hour earlier than the published programme time! However the time in the programme information banner had adjusted itself to gmt + 1hr, so the receiver clock was correct and had updated @ 0200hrs.

I don't know whether the unit is intelligent for instance enough to work out that Time Team listed as a series recording from last week required recording @ 1745hrs, not 1645 as in the Planner! I should also add that the time automatically entered after last week's recording was correct @ 1745! I had around half a dozen "series" recordings spread over next week, all 1 hour early! It looks as if the software added 1 hour to the receiver clock, but ignored anything else in the "Planner memory".

I wasn't going to chance it so zapped all recording requests and started again. Obviously a general gremlin as opposed to a "one off miscalculation". I would suggest anyone who uses the "series" facility on the Sky Plus, (HD may the same), checks their planner ASAP.

Peter

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I do not have sky plus however I cannot get my head around the logic of what you say has happened. If a series record time is 17.00 hours, then the record time will always be 17.00 regardless of what happens to the clock back or forward. As long as the clock itself as in this case has gone forward I cannot see what the problem is.

nononsence

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
Scotland
psbridge - having sky+ not just 'sky' I know exactly what you mean, I'm going to wait and see what happens when one on my pre-set programmes tomorrow is 7.30pm but shows 6.30 - wait and see..

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I find it hard to believe that Sky have been getting it wrong all these years since Sky + was released, so we will find out tomorrow I suppose

psbridge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza 450 fitted with PVR, motorised 1 metre dish, Universal lnb.
My Location
Suffolk, UK
I couldn't believe it either, but it happened exactly as described. Programmes for record, at the correct time before the clock change, were listed 1 hour earlier to record when you looked at your list in the "Planner" after the time change.
However, on the banner at the bottom of the screen which briefly comes up when you switch on, or change channels, the time according to BST WAS correct!
For example "Time Time" was listed to record @ 1645hrs, should have been 1745.

I was describing this "gremlin" to someone last night who said that he had it last year as well, didn't know what to do, so left well alone. His programmes recorded at the correct time regardless! He checked his list as we spoke on the phone and confirmed that he had exactly the same effect again, but as last year, would leave it to sort itself out.
That is why very few people have noticed, because it seems to have no effect anyway on the actual recording times, and if you are in the middle of a "series" recording, it corrects itself when the next edition is listed.

Thanks to all for their replies

Peter

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
My digihome DTT PVR did this too, all timers set before the clock change were one hour out afterwards, except it didn't correct itself and things recorded wrongly.

I later heard from someone with a Humax DTT PVR saying the same thing had happened.

It makes me wonder just how the time and timer information are stored, as topper said I would also have thought that a 1700 timer would start at 1700 even if the clock has changed since the timer was set.