Sky Plus Set top box

Alan F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky +
My Location
UK
Very sorry if this is a repeat question, but can't find it listed before. My 2 year old Sky Plus set top box is playing up, and increasingly I am finding failed recordings, or incomplete recordings where it cuts off the last few minutes of a programme. There appear to be lots of postings about replacing hard drives, but not the box itself. I don't have the over-priced Sky insurance, and anyway cannot guarantee to be in at home for a whole day which is what Sky engineers expect.

I tried a complete reset of the drive using Sky's instructions a few weeks ago, and that seemed to work for a while. However, I am thinking I would prefer to buy a new set top box, and wonder if I can get one directly from a reasonably-priced dealer, without having to go through Sky? I don't want to have to do any complicated electronics, and also would want the same easy to use features including the Sky programme planner.

Any suggestions?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You could try the like of eBay for a replacement.

S*y will charge around £65 to replace it with a refurbished box that's guaranteed for 90 days!

You get to keep your old receiver though.

Whatever you do you have to get your card paired with the new receiver.

P.S. I see someone is trying to sell this information on eBay for 99p a hit. They want to tell you to call out S*y for a replacement - LOL

_http://tinyurl.com/anp98

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not so sure that the £60 would be the same for the Sky+, but I guess it's worth a try.:)

If no go, then there are traders selling the 160 version for quite reasonable money on ebay.

Alan F

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky +
My Location
UK
Thanks for those pieces of advice. Never used ebay, and wondered if I could legally buy the box from an internet or high street retailer. However, have since phoned Sky technical who reckon it is a software and not a hardware problem and they have downloaded something they reckon will fix it. We will see!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Alan F said:
Never used ebay, and wondered if I could legally buy the box from an internet or high street retailer.

Yes, you can buy a box legally from a source other than S*y.

If you're still having problems a friend had his S*y+ box replaced with a refurbished receiver just last week for the £65 call out charge.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
gameboy said:
You could try the like of eBay for a replacement.

S*y will charge around £65 to replace it with a refurbished box that's guaranteed for 90 days!

You get to keep your old receiver though.

Do you mean you keep your old sky+????, don't think you do.... Exchange basis only.