Sky reception

speigel

Reaction score
I'm sick of the appalling reception I'm getting from Sky on my Grundig Digibox, which I've had for a couple of years now. We prefer to watch the less popluar channels like TCM/Discovery/UK Style etc, are these at a lesser power?. We're in Somerset, with a clear line of sight, signal strength only just gets to 50%. we constantly get a frozen picture,pixellated etc. Even in clear weather.
What do you all recommend, before I send it back
Possible dish re-alignment?
Better receiver?
Better LNB and dish?
My old analogue system was better than this.

Thanks for your help.
Speigel

Topsat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Near Peterborough
I expect the tuner is on its way out, Sky will charge £65 to sort the system out, if you threaten them with cancelling they usually offer a half price call.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Grundigs have power supply problems, it isn't a matter of if it goes, but when. Having problems with certain channels and not others is symptomatic of a power supply going. You can get a replacement power supply by post from www.mces.co.uk for £16 or so, it is only a few screws and a connector to remove it (You have to send them yours).

Power Supply for Grundig GDS range

PSU only repair £16.00 plus VAT or Complete box repaired from £35.00 plus VAT

Fault symptoms include,

"No Signal received" - "Freezing" - "Some channels missing"

Before you do this, try someone else's box on your dish or your box on someone else's dish, just to make sure that it is at fault.

speigel

Reaction score
rolfw said:
The Grundigs have power supply problems, it isn't a matter of if it goes, but when. Having problems with certain channels and not others is symptomatic of a power supply going. You can get a replacement power supply by post from www.mces.co.uk for £16 or so, it is only a few screws and a connector to remove it (You have to send them yours).

Before you do this, try someone else's box on your dish or your box on someone else's dish, just to make sure that it is at fault.
Thanks for the suggeestions guys.
Just one more question........Could it be that Sky didn't install the dish correctly and it might be slightly off line?
What do you think?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Quite possibly, but it must have been up there for a while if it is as old as your box. Best way to check is with another receiver.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
Are you sure about £16 for a power supply? My enquiries have levelled off
at £39.99 for an exchange unit.

I took my grundig box apart to try to find out what was wrong with it and was
amazed at just how little was in it for the potential cost of actually buying
a new one!

As the problem could be just about anything (not only is it "no signal" but the
power supply turns off regularly - done all the swap over checks too) I decided that a S*y service call was the best option.

My further gripe is that one can't get S*y with an alternative box and CAM (paying
the sub of course) to save having to wire up two boxes through one videorecorder!

I feel better now for saying that.....

Meldrew

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, www.MCES.co.uk £16 plus vat, it's on their Digital page I believe, at the bottom.

---

Power Supply for Grundig GDS range

PSU only repair £16.00 plus VAT or Complete box repaired from £35.00 plus VAT

Fault symptoms include,

"No Signal received" - "Freezing" - "Some channels missing"

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
rolfw said:
No, www.MCES.co.uk £16 plus vat, it's on their Digital page I believe, at the bottom.

---

I didn't really doubt you - honestly!
The service looks amazing value too. Even better they are
within easy driving distance. Still, the man from S*y needs
to earn a living too.....

TVM
Meldrew