Sky Showing Viewing Card Number on Screen

dave1979

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish,and 1.1m dish,samsung hd receivers(viasat).3sky box's and sky dish's,1 sky italia.
My Location
midlands
maybe if sky didnt rip pubs off there wouldnt be all this fuss!!my bill is £1100,£275 a week!!!! and thats not HD or 3D its not even sky plus!!!!just plain old sky with the sports channels espn and music!!

D

deleted

I totally agree dave.
you might have a big pub with not a large number of customers but with subs being on the rateable value of the premisses, he has to pay more than a small pub that is full.
The other side of it is that probably + 50% of customers are sky subscribers anyway so when the pub passes the sub fee onto the pint, the customer is paying for sky twice really.

sky make a rod for their own back being so GREEDY, As the saying goes sell cheaper and sell more!! SIMPLES *.*

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Even if the Sky prices were lower, some publicans would still go the shadowy route, as Sky Italia and other subscriptions show 3pm football, which Sky UK is not allowed to transmit, thus also voiding the "customer is paying for Sky twice" argument.

Surely the way to get Sky to reduce their high prices, is for all publicans to stop subscribing for a season, then they'd have to drop them, but many pubs will not do this, as they can dramatically increase their turnover on football days, if that wasn't the case, they wouldn't be taking the risk of the foreign subscriptions.

But back to the original topic, which is about the numbers appearing on the screen.;)

paulh29

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
de-activation of sky italia
My Location
uk
hi,i'm the landlord of a pub and have been using sky italia for prem football, last week the card seems to have been disabled.
1. Is this possible for them to do even though the sky box is not connected by a telephone line and 2. is there any way of re-activating the card or 3. hav i been sold a duff card that only had a life span of 3 months

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If it was periodically showing the card number on the screen, it will have been spotted, reported and the card switched off I'm afraid.

Sky Italia will also have been stacking up information on reported cards being used in UK pubs and building a profile as to the source/sources, it would then be a relatively easy process to double check all cards sold from that source which looked suspect and turn them off. The odd one here or there which is legitimate, can easily be reinstated.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
paulh29 said:
hi,i'm the landlord of a pub and have been using sky italia for prem football, last week the card seems to have been disabled.
1. Is this possible for them to do even though the sky box is not connected by a telephone line and 2. is there any way of re-activating the card or 3. hav i been sold a duff card that only had a life span of 3 months

1) Yes - all kill commands are sent via satellite!

2) contact your dealer

3) more likely the card has been deactivated - see RolfW's answer.

dave1979

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish,and 1.1m dish,samsung hd receivers(viasat).3sky box's and sky dish's,1 sky italia.
My Location
midlands
paulh29 said:

it does sound like you have been cut off!the the only other thing i can think is when you had it fitted they used a sky italia multi room card!witch some fitters use and try and get away with it! multiroom cards are alot cheaper but have a very high risk of getting turned off....!!

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
I wonder if this 'card number' has exposed a vulnerability in the NDS algo.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Low Profile said:
I wonder if this 'card number' has exposed a vulnerability in the NDS algo.
|How do you reckon that? Or is it just wishful thing.?