Sky+ without HDD?

tv-trev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 2.2Ghz, custom built
Basic Sky set-up; 1.4m dish, Pace 2600C1, Invacom 0.5 quad
My Location
Tavira, Portugal
Having just established from your forum that BOTH my Sky+ units have dead HDD's (thank you VERY much!!!), does anyone know of a way the box can be used as a 'normal' digibox without an HDD? I've no intention of paying $ky's ransom to use the + functions (don't they make enough already???). It's an excellent receiver, but hardly worth investing in an HDD that's just going to be cooked to death purely to make it 'work' as a standard digibox. :cool:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just get yourself a couple of cheap hard drives and install them yourself, don't think the unit will function without a drive, although i have to confess to not having tried one.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Tavira, Portugal, two SKY+ boxes, dead HDD's. Did you buy these off Ebay?

How did you establish that the HDD's are dead? Do the units work at all, or, are they dead-dead?

If they are dead-dead - follows rolfs advice and throw in a cheap HDD to test functionality - if they remain dead, one would assume that there is probably some other fault (sic).

The SKY+ STB without the a 'plus' subscription should default to run as a standard digibox.

Have Fun.

tv-trev

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 2.2Ghz, custom built
Basic Sky set-up; 1.4m dish, Pace 2600C1, Invacom 0.5 quad
My Location
Tavira, Portugal
Thanks very much for the quick replies; I originally established that original drives were faulty by replacing with an old, but known-good drive & doing the 'quick-format' (?). Can't test recording functions, as I don't have $ky+ sub, but at least boxes boot up now. Will probably stick with that, despite the noise! T.
PS Didn't buy off eBay! They were given to me!! The best price!!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
So now you have two heavy regular STB's, hehe:D

A mate of mine changed his HDD and it was quieter the the factory installed one :eek: Maybe its because yours are old that they grrrrh a bit.

Would I be right to assume they'll for sale in the coming months, LOL:D

Glad they work. Have Fun.