Skybox F3 External Hard Drives

ChAOsTheory

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky F3 Box fixed dish wired broadband connection
My Location
North West England
Evening all anybody give me a heads up on an external hard drive to connect to my sky f3 box ? and can you pause and record live tv with an external recorder connected? Thanks in anticipation.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, you can Pause Live TV, Record etc. with either an External HDD or a fast enough USB stick (V3.0 work fine). But there is no SCART socket, so your options for using an External Recorder are limited. Not sure if anyone here has tried using anything other than an HDD or USB stick.

There is a dedicated Thread already for USB Sticks, and if you have a read through some of the other Skybox F3
Threads there is already a good deal of information about External HDDs and people's experiences with them.

ChAOsTheory

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Thanks Tivu.I`ve connected a Buffalo mini station 320gb hard drive that I had and I`ve started stumbling around using it recorded a couple of programs looks fine but when I`ve gone to pause the live tv the video pauses but the audio continues any suggestions? Also can you only record the programme your watching? Thanks in anticipation....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If the picture pauses but not the sound, then I suspect you're not actually in Timeshift Mode as that's what happens when there is no Recording going on.

That feature is enabled (or disabled) in the PVR Menu if you have a look: You can either set the Device to Record only, or Record plus Timeshift and it will Partition your Device accordingly.

With Timeshift activated, it does exactly the same as a PVR with internal Hard Disc. Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward etc.

Just a matter of getting familiar.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As you've only one Tuner, you can only Record the programme you're watching (Or set a Timer - via the EPG if it's imminent, or Manually otherwise: But that's for when you're asleep or otherwise unable to watch live anyway).

ie If you are watching BBC HD and want to Record Film 4 during the night, the Timer will switch Channel for you (And will even bring the Box out of Standby).

ChAOsTheory

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Once again thanks for your help

ChAOsTheory

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Hi all just a follow up...any recommendations regarding leads to connect my sky box up to a sony hd dvd recorder I`ve got a rear hdmi slot and front and rear scart on the sony obviously the sky box is usb only .Thanks all in anticipation