smw prime focus 180cm

vipersvcd

Member
My Satellite Setup
1.2M ,
DreamBox 500-s Chinese
My Location
Israel
Hi

I can't seem to find how to send a PM to a member in this forum
So I write here - sorry .

I want to use it for KU reception .
I have an option to purchase a used SMW 180cm primefocus sat dish .
With Motor for a very good price .
But I can't find any info about it .
On the SMW site I only read that the OA-1600 was the largest dish they manufactured but this dish is also made from fiber and has the SMW and Waves logo on it .
How does this old sat dish compare to the new KU prime focus dishes made of still from a company like jonsa ?
What is the gain of this SMW ?
Can I use it with a regular universal LNBF ?
Are there still FeedHorns avaible for it ?

Thanks .
 
Welcome to the forum vipersvcd

I have detached your post from the thread you tagged on to.
Sorry but you have to earn PM priviledges, you don't join a forum so that you can PM people, the very purpose of a self help forum is that you can read how to achieve something or as in your case you are asking a specific question which others read and advise about.
 
vipersvcd said:
Hi

I can't seem to find how to send a PM to a member in this forum
So I write here - sorry .

I want to use it for KU reception .
I have an option to purchase a used SMW 180cm primefocus sat dish .
With Motor for a very good price .
But I can't find any info about it .
On the SMW site I only read that the OA-1600 was the largest dish they manufactured but this dish is also made from fiber and has the SMW and Waves logo on it .
How does this old sat dish compare to the new KU prime focus dishes made of still from a company like jonsa ?
What is the gain of this SMW ?
Can I use it with a regular universal LNBF ?
Are there still FeedHorns avaible for it ?

Thanks .

I may be wrong, but I wasn't aware that SMW ever made prime focus dishes. Possibly they were manufactured for commercial headend use sometime in the 1980's before they concentrated on offset dishes.

Llew
 
Hi .

I visited the seller to day and took some pictures
He says its about 11/13yr old .
_http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8228/26064769.jpg

_http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4075/68931819.jpg
 
That is a SMW Jumbo 140cm dish.
 
That's an SMW OA-1400 offset dish (13 degree offset angle) with a prime focus LNB bracket.

SMW did a polar mount for this dish allowing a 57 degree east to 80 degree west using a 40cm actuator. Doubt if one can be found now.

Llew
 
yes ..nice vintage stuff ,i think we will never see high quality stuff like this again..thanx to the chinees :(
 
High quality stuff indeed. Should be as good for many more years. As with all SMW dishes (except the 550), they are moulded in ABS plastic and withstand almost anything you can throw at them.

OA-1400 spec -

1500 x 1420mm
Offset 13 degrees
5.5mm ABS
EMC shielding + Acrylic top coat covering copper reflector
Galvanised back support
Gain 43.3dB
f/d ratio 0.45
Beam width 1.2 degrees
Weight 16.2 kg

Llew
 
Well this one came with the polar mount and the actuator .
I guess I only measured it from top to bottom and see that its 150cm
And thought it was a prime-focus .
Do you think that a 43.3 gain is good in today standards
For this size ?
The Gibertini OP-150 does 43.3db gain at 10.95Ghz
Does this SMW does the same ?
 
That's gain at 12MHz for the SMW dish. As gain of a dish increases at higher frequencies, expect a lower value in the lower band (surface area of the SMW is less than the Gibertini).

A good match of the feedhorn to the dish will be a factor to consider. If the dish has the original feedhorn, get a decent C120 LNB, an Invacom or Inverto for example.

Llew
 
with these dishes i would say XM610 would much just perfectly
 
hi LIew i have purchased the smw 140cm dish complete for £50 do you know the value of the focus,many thanks
 
if you confirm its a offset dish you will be looking for a XM610 feedhorn
 
pride21 said:
hi LIew i have purchased the smw 140cm dish complete for £50 do you know the value of the focus,many thanks


The f/d ratio is 0.45. The XM 600 series will work OK with f/d ratios of between 0.45 -0.65.

Llew
 
pipino said:
if you confirm its a offset dish you will be looking for a XM610 feedhorn


Not sure if an offset LNB will work OK with the OA-1400 pipino, as it has a prime focus LNB bracket.

I would be interested to know what LNB/feedhorn is already on the dish (if it came complete) if pride21 could attach a picture.

Llew
 
hi LIew thanks for reply i took off the lnb holder as i use c-band lnbf with fortec star lnb holder and ku with the fortec star holder,i just wanted to know if you knew the lenth of the focal length from the dish to see if i have got it right
 
I don't have that dish myself, vipersvcd may be able to help. Don't know if it's suitable for C-band working, you'll have to modify the f/d ratio of course, probably by trial and error considering the non-standard shape of the dish.

Llew
 
hi Llew spent some time to focus c-band results very good get most sats from 64e to 55.5w, i now get 18w AIT is quite strong and the light channel,i also use an lnb for offset dish works very well.
 
Back
Top