Some 8mm kit for me!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Still no joy in finding anything on this "Battery Down" fault, I gave up on google as they put batteries first at the top of the list, which at the moment I don't need!!!! Ah well, looks like I'll be doing some stripping (of the screwdriver kind!!! :p ) to see what's what.... :(

The joys of being technologically curious... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Well, I think I've narrowed it down to the main board, if I fiddle with the VCR controls it seems to stay on without anyysigns of a low battery, but shortly after I stop pressing buttons it does the "Battery Down" thingand conks out, so it sounds like it could be a current issue (as in a lack of), so there's something that is reducing the current which makes the unit think that the battery is low.... :confused

Any techies like to add to this at all??? :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think I've found a leaking surface mount capacitor, so that could be the problem, but, I ain't no electronics engineer so I haven't a clue what it's connected to or what it does. On the board it's marked "C127" so I assume the C means capacitor, and by the looks of the component it is a capacitor!!!

I'm not too sure about the info on the top, but here goes:

?1P (? being a square shape, maybe D or O or something)
6.3v

Any ideas? :confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think I've got it nailed (well, the component, not the fault!!!)... :D

_http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9694331

Looks identical, size is correct, and the details seem to match...

Shame I'd have to order 10 in one go though... :(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unlikely indeed to be a capacitor leaking.

I would check for a leaky diode in the charging system first.
Some people have a tendency to put normal batteries in a dect phone and wonder why the base unit is constantly saying 'battery fault'.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Unlikely indeed to be a capacitor leaking.

I would check for a leaky diode in the charging system first.
Some people have a tendency to put normal batteries in a dect phone and wonder why the base unit is constantly saying 'battery fault'.

Well, a capacitor leaking electrolyte is still a concern... :D

As for a leaky diode, erm, what exactly am I looking for?? :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It gets stranger and stranger, last night I managed to get it to stay on once it had warmed up, so I'm lost as to why it did that, but I couldn't get it to stay on today, even after I tried heating it up...:confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Looks like the tape transport is boogered, only one side is loading the tape and the other side is freely mobile (as in I can move it by hand very easily), soo the tape part needs serious repair, which I don't think I can do without knowing what I'm meant to be doing.... :(

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
www.satellitestuff.bravehost.com
My Satellite Setup
Analogue FTA - Maspro ST9,
Sky Digibox - Amstrad DRX100(no subscription),
Digital FTA - Manhattan Plaza ST100 with motorised 98CM dish.
My Location
Essex, UK
Hmm, the power fault sounded like whats wrong with my camcorder.

My canon v65hi wouldnt power up with battery or mains supply, thought it was the battery that was buggered but after taking it apart found the board at the back seems to be at fault.

if i tilt the board to the left or right it works fine but as soon as i let go it goes off :-doh! , the board is connected to the mainboard with a socket connector thingy which could be faulty, such as a loose solder.

Anyway, dont know if thats of any help, probably just mindless rambling :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ShaunSat said:
Hmm, the power fault sounded like whats wrong with my camcorder.

My canon v65hi wouldnt power up with battery or mains supply, thought it was the battery that was buggered but after taking it apart found the board at the back seems to be at fault.

if i tilt the board to the left or right it works fine but as soon as i let go it goes off :-doh! , the board is connected to the mainboard with a socket connector thingy which could be faulty, such as a loose solder.

Anyway, dont know if thats of any help, probably just mindless rambling :D

Actually, I think it's the same in my video walkman, when I have it open and the control switch board loose it seems to stay on, so could be a loose solder joint too, but as the VCR part is broken all I can use it for is as a portable TV and an interface for the handheld camera...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Whilst fiddling with the camera this morning, I blew it up, literally!!! I was trying to see which wire in the plug powered the camera, and I think I got the wrong one and a capacitor popped, and the smell was absolutely disgusting!!! It smelled like the camera had been dragged through an unwashed cowshed!!! :eek:

So, that's another dead gadget in my collection... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, this week, I finally got something to use them 8mm tapes with, a Sony TR417E Video8 camcorder, very similar to my sister's camcorder and has Nightshot which I love playing with... :D

Only £50 :eek: at Cash Converters, which I shouldn't have spent... :cool: