Some Simple information !

G

gosz

I am new to the whole satellite game, but I have decided that I want to get a motorised satellite system but all I have managed to find are motors that will only move the satellite from left to right but I want a motor that can move the satellite dish left to right but also up and down (e.g. tilt the dish).

Can anyone tell me where I can get this kind of motor in the UK???

Also I know that you can get a separate positioner to move the satellite dish but I will be using the satellite dish to access satellite through me computer, so does anyone know of any software / hardware that would allow me to move (position) the dish through my computer?

Thanks

James

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
just out of curiosity, why do you want to be able to adjust the elevation? There are very few sats in inclined orbits.
2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Another question James, what satellite card are you intending to use? Some of these offer DiseqC positioning.

Rolf

T

tribeman

The only motor I know that can move in four directions is the Irte Omnisat.

G

gosz

Rolfw - I have no idea what kind of satellite card I want to use but if u can give me a list of cards that offer DiseqC positioning and the websites that I can read about them, it will be appreciated

Tribeman - Can you give me a website so that I can read up more about the Irte Omnisat. Thanks

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Gosz - (in case you missed my earlier question) - why do you want to be able to adjust elevation?
2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, I'm not up on all of the cards and what type of positioning facilities they have, it would help to know what satellites you are looking to receive and whether you are going for free to air only plus data, or are prepared to pay extra for a Common Interface card to carry a CAM for decrypting.

There are four major cards available, the Pentavision which has facility for an add on CI and offers DiseqC 1 LNB switching, you can use this for switching between different dishes or multiple Lnbs on one dish.

The Hauppauge which also has a CI option and I believe offers DiseqC 1, is highly thought of.

The Telemann does not come highly recommended by data only users, but not sure what it's like for Video.

There are also the Technisat, Technotrend (same as the Hauppauge) and the Harmonic. There are probably others as well but these are the common ones.

If you only want to watch satellite and not use it for data, I would strongly recommend getting a stand alone DVB receiver as they perform far better generally.

Rolf

G

gosz

2old4this – The reason that I want to be able to move the satellite dish in all 4 planes is because I will be accessing more than public satellites, and so theses satellites are not in the same belt as the more public satellites.

Is there anyone out there that knows of any company that makes software or hardware that will allow me to control the position of the dish?

Thanks

T

tribeman

Try http://www.irte.it/consumersat/consatuk.htm also it's now called omniview