sometimes dish doesn't move

ak1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky hd. 37 inch Samsung with home theatre.
My Location
hampshire
Morning all.my setup is a vu+ duo clone, static sky dish plugged into tuner b and a motorised dish plugged into tuner a.Sometimes when i choose a channel, the flashing satellite comes up but the dish doesn't move. If i try another channel the same thing happens, just the flashing satellite.Sometimes i sort it by moving dish to 0 or just searching east or west a bit, kind of jolting the dish into action.If that doesn't work i have to reboot the stb and then choose the channel.i've also noticed that on 3 occasions i've tried to record 2 things on sly uk at the same time. First recording starts without a hitch but when the second recording starts the motorised dish should move round to 28.2 right? Well just the flashing satellite again and the dish stays put.i've tried swapping the cables round to see if it was a dodgy tuner, no luck.Any ideas? Tuner issue, power issue, stb or dish?thanks for your help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
More than likely a power issue the clones are cheap because they use cheap components during manufacture

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
ak1975 said:
Morning all.my setup is a vu+ duo clone....

It sounds like the power supply to the dish isn't up to it. I've also read that the hardware stability of a clone is questionable. What size dish are you driving with your motor?

ak1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
Thanks guys. My dish is only 80cm so shouldn't be a problem. If it is power related, is there something i can do to solve it?

A nonymous

Reaction score
There is, buy a genuine receiver. I've never understood why anybody would buy a Vu+ clone when the original is very well priced. If you didn't have the money you should have gone for something like an IPBox 55HD or a Gigablue 800 HD Solo. Neither box is a copy and both can be got for under £130. They are also fairly well supported :D

The Vu+ Clone is not supported by anybody and it will not work correctly if used with any of the newer images. I have owned a Genuine Vu+ Duo and it never had any problem with my motor which had a 1m Gilbertini connected to it.

It may be a software glitch as images for the Genuine Vu+ box will not work 100% correctly on a clone. I suggest installing an older image. Which image are you currently running on it?

Have you tried another receiver just to rule out an issue with the motor? Just because it only an 80cm dish the mtor is still going to draw more or less the same current when moving it as it would an 60cm dish.

Nano

ak1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
nanochickin said:
There is, buy a genuine receiver. I've never understood why anybody would buy a Vu+ clone when the original is very well priced. If you didn't have the money you should have gone for something like an IPBox 55HD or a Gigablue 800 HD Solo. Neither box is a copy and both can be got for under £130. They are also fairly well supported :DThe Vu+ Clone is not supported by anybody and it will not work correctly if used with any of the newer images. I have owned a Genuine Vu+ Duo and it never had any problem with my motor which had a 1m Gilbertini connected to it.It may be a software glitch as images for the Genuine Vu+ box will not work 100% correctly on a clone. I suggest installing an older image. Which image are you currently running on it?Have you tried another receiver just to rule out an issue with the motor? Just because it only an 80cm dish the mtor is still going to draw more or less the same current when moving it as it would an 60cm dish.Nano
I did try to buy a genuine receiver, paid my £310, and got a clone instead. Seller closed shop and did a runner so i'm stuck with it. But that's not the issue.I was running blackhole 1.7.2 an have changed to vix 2.3 to try solve this issue.I don't have another receiver as this is my foray into linux based stb.There are several people on forums that are running clones on these images fine after kernal 3.1.1 update.In fact some say there is practically no difference between a genuine and clone.So as i said, i wanted a genuine but was conned, all i want to do is get my clone running properly.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Unfortunately you won't ever get the box running correctly if its a clone. Try back dating to version 1.6.5 of Blackhole as this was the last safe image i have used to get a friends clone working as near as i could to an original.

Black hole 1.7.2 will not run correctly on a clone box. I sympathise with you ending up with a clone when you thought you were getting an original, it just goes to show how many w@nkers there are out there who are willing to take your hard earned cash and give you sh*t in return.

My only advice is to downgrade your image to BH 1.6.5 and try from there.

Did you buy the unit from a high street shop or through an ebay shop? Buying through ebay is bad news unless its from a known source.

Nano

ak1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
It was from an ebay shop with positive feedback.I was really hoping to stay with vix, not overly keen on blackhole.Which vix image could i try?

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Can you not put in a PayPal claim?

ak1975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hampshire
Tbh i just want to move on from it. Paypal weren't very helpful , so just want to move on and try get this receiver working properly.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
ak1975 said:
Tbh i just want to move on from it. Paypal weren't very helpful , so just want to move on and try get this receiver working properly.

Blackhole 1.6.5, as per Nano's previous Post?

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you want to stay with VIX you could try the earlier 1.3 image, maybe VIX 2.0 but i wouldn't go any later than this. :D

I've no idea if the VIX image is problematic on clones as i never used it as i didn't get on with it so i have done very little research into it:D