PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've just bought the above model at an auction. Not particularly espensive (£78.75 after commission) and came in working condition with a remote.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a handbook. I was hopuing it might be multi-standard but working my way through the menu I reckon that it is single standard (PAL I) only.

If it is single standard, is there any way (secret reset codes?) that could turn it into a French understanding (SECAM L) TV? If not does it understand SECAM signals fed through the scart socket?

PaulR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Service codes -

Switch set to standby.

Remote control - i+ (On Screen Display)

Digit 5 - Volume (+) - TV Mode

This gets you into Service Mode. Once into Service Mode, TT-- is displayed on the screen.

There are many TT modes, the most useful for you would be TT24, to set up for UK or European working. Don't possess this receiver myself, but apparently it allows you to select the various PAL modes UHF channels etc.

Other TT mode numbers are available if you need them, don't know if they would help you though.

TT00 exits Service Menu.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Should've mentioned the other 'Country Setup' codes - TT25 through to TT32 give you more options for the various transmission systems - may be a Secam option in those.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ta

I'll try not to bugger it up completely when I'm messing around.

Don't suppose that you know of a code that makes it multi-standard?

PaulR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's multistandard only in the fact that you can change the standard through the service menu for the region in which you are located.

No easy option in which it converts to whichever shade of PAL, S*cam etc. you require by using the OSD menu.

BTW - make a note of any changes you make so that you can revert to your original options. :-righton

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Well, did it work Paul ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Too chicken to try it immediately. Need permission from SWMBO.

What I plan to try is changing it to SECAM (hopefully L although I won't know for sure until I take it to France) and then making sure that it still understands PAL through the scart. This is so that I can be sure it'll work in France and still display UK programmes from the digibo.

If it doen't then I'll put it back to PAL I and keep it in the UK.

PaulR

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
if sold in uK, then unlikely to have SECAM parts fitted, that's a rather different colour system!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Indeed, if definitely a UK model, will need Secam decoder chip added (TDA8395T, £3.80 from Grandata).

Goes in IC303 position. A repair shop could fit it if needed.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
By the time you get it to France, both 5W will have bone as well as the terrestrial Frog stuff, leaving you with a PAL only satellite signal to receive (If HDTV hasnt made PAL redundant as well )

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Spiney

Yes but sometimes a UK set understands a S*cam signal through the scart - my old Mitsubishi CT25AV1B does, for instance.

Llew

Thanks for that. I'll get hold of one and pop it in.

CH

True, but I want it for French analogue terrestrial and UK digital satellite now.

PaulR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Paul, the TDA8395 is an SOT (surface mount) IC. You'll need good eyesight and a small tip on your soldering iron!

You may need a couple of extra capacitors too. I can give you details if need be.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
As long as it's not a BGA device I'm willing to have a go. It'll have to wait a bit though as I'm really pressed for time at the mo. It may be that the chip is already there - I won't know until I take the back off.

Thanks for the time you've all taken, much appreciated. I just wish I could respond as quickly!

PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Right, we're in France at the moment and tried to enter the service mode.

There must be something wrong with what I'm doing using the i+, digit 5 & Volume (+) buttons as either nothing happens, programme 5 comes on or I lock the TV up!

So, any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've had some problems with Internet access recently so haven't been able to post for 5 days but I'm back now!

Paul

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Are you putting the set in standby first?

This site gives details of service modes for Sony TV's.

h**p://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonypal.html#sony

Your chassis (BE3D) uses the first procedure shown in the list (the one I gave you).

Also you can enter "TT" mode by opening the little hatch on the front, holding [P+] and [P-] (prog. button) switching main power on - then pressing menu twice enters the service menu.

Hope this helps.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Got it :D

The problem was the TV button as the final 4th press.

I've tried changing to every Chassis Destination from 24 (UK) to 32. It's only option 2 tht offers an L option when in TV tuning mode. I assumed that this would be Secam L, as used in France, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I would have expected at least to convert the video modulation detector so that I can see the programmes in BW (no Secam chip, remember) but they stay resolutely reversed.

Also there's no sound (which is AM in France). Setting the option to either B/G or D/K will bring up snatches of sound from the Nicam signal but why doesn't that work for L as well?

The IC status menu resolutely shows the colour system as 2 (presumably PAL).

Any further ideas? Is the Secam chip needed to even be able to receive a signal properly?

Incidentally the h**p://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonypal.html#sony list isn't quite right for my model. Options 04 and 05 alter the sound level in similar manner to 03 and 06. Perhaps there are other differences as well which might be pertinant to my problem?

PaulR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The destination suffix for France is 'B' (according to my circuit diagram for the BE3D chassis), but as you have tried them all, it probably doesn't help.

The S*cam chip is only concerned with processing the colour difference signals. Luminance is handled of course by the existing video chip.

Converting your TV to S*cam L should allow reception of the transmissions, albeit in B/W.

As for audio, remember it uses a 6MHz sound carrier, which it presumably converts to when you change standards.

Not having done a conversion myself, I don't know if I can help much more.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, option 26 is for Chassis Dest B and that's where it's sitting at the moment. This then gives all the options in the ordinary channel tuning menu (L, I, D/K, B/G) and one would have thought that choosing L as your standard would perform the required trick with video inversion.

With regards to audio I could agree with you except for the fact that when set to B/G or D/K there are bursts of Nicam sound which the L option doesn't pick up on. I can't see why Nicam would be disabled in the L option as it's been here for years and badly needed to make up for the awful AM sound.

I'll poke about electronically a bit more and then give a rest until next time.

I'll get the chip you mentioned in an earlier post. You also said that I would need a few discrete components as well, could you let me know what they are please?

Who knows. There may be some bit of code that checks for the presence of the Secam chip before letting the tuning in proceed further!

PaulR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK Paul, I'll see what's needed.

I could post a PDF of the cct. diag too, it's a big file so I'll have to split it.

Llew

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mmmmm

Yes please Llew.