South Africa, PanAmSat in Ireland?!

Psychobiker

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
60CM Sky dish, Thomson LNB, PACE DS430N and FS Lifetime Ultra +
My Location
Ireland
Hi,

Living in Loughrea, which is quite high. Where would I be able to find out if I could recieve PAS 10? I know this seems like a shot in the dark...and what do those 45, 46 etc numbers mean on PAS' footprint maps?! I have access to anything up to 2.5m


L
 
PAS 10 operates at 68E. This is going to be very close to the horizon in Ireland. The Lyngsat sat tracker:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/pas10.html

indicates no more than a couple of degrees above the horizon! Forget it - thermal noise from the ground will likely degrade the signal into nothing without a satellite teleport sized dish..

The numbers are the satellite downlink powers in dBW. Approximate dish sizes for any downlink power can be found here.

http://www.flysat.com/dish.php
 
I live in south wales and and get 68.5e no problem luckly i live on the side of a hill (mountain) and have a clear view across the bristol channel i can get sabc channel etc with very high signal, i can also get eutelsat w5 at 70.5 east aswell
Psychobiker said:
Hi,

Living in Loughrea, which is quite high. Where would I be able to find out if I could recieve PAS 10? I know this seems like a shot in the dark...and what do those 45, 46 etc numbers mean on PAS' footprint maps?! I have access to anything up to 2.5m


L
 
:D Impressive stuff RD100

This just the advantage of living up on a hill - and that just occasionally you can outfox theoretical predictions. :P :D
 
Cheers, we are quite high here, so I'kk give it a shot, I mean what's to lose?!

I couldn't make any sense out of that table? Is the 45 number on the footprint photo pertaining to downling dB?

L
 
Also fox sports is on 68.5 east but has now gone conax part of my tv package, Also the signal i get is very strong the signal bounces up and down due to noise but its still very strong 97% signal on my technomate, I can get eutelsat 70.5 east but i wonder if there is any thing else i can pick up after 70.5 east as i still have a clear view that way
 
remember the elevation is very low so you will need a clear view i think with a 1 or 1.2m you will pull it in sabc 123 & etv are in nagravision but any pached receiver will open it plus 98% of it is in english, Installed a dish for this a year back for a mate of mine who is from south africa


Psychobiker said:
Cheers, we are quite high here, so I'kk give it a shot, I mean what's to lose?!

I couldn't make any sense out of that table? Is the 45 number on the footprint photo pertaining to downling dB?

L
 
South wales is not that far off where I am in Ireland. the Lyngsat sat tracker is far too small for me to get an accurate reading, but I'll get a 1m from work and ahve a shot at it anyway :D

L
 
Very hard indeed but may i remind you that there is one user that gets in Zagreb 93.5E (C-Band India beam) on a 1.50m Gibertini, which is max 0.5° over the horizon. The problem is that the signal is not stabile because of its long way through the atmosphere. On the other hand 68.5E is much stronger but higher frequency band (Ku) so no guarantee can be given for proper reception even with 2.40m. Try it and please tell us if you've achieved anything.
 
Rd100 said:
I can get eutelsat 70.5 east but i wonder if there is any thing else i can pick up after 70.5 east as i still have a clear view that way
After 70.5 east comes 72 east (PAS 4), here in the Netherlands the STS Moldova transponder (12657 V, SR=3200) is strongest with 80 cm, you may give that one a try. Interesting because it's exactly on the horizon for you, here it's 5 degrees above.
 
Back
Top