Spain cracks down on pay TV hackers

Satdude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
Ireland

The Spanish police has disbanded a network of pay-TV hackers by arresting 27 people across the country who would have defrauded the pay-TV companies of E10 million. Amonsgt the detainees there are 10 distributors of keys and codes through the Internet, nine sellers of manipulated set-top-boxes and eight responsible for local TV channels.

The pirates used three methods: First, the sale through the Internet of manipulated set-top-boxes that allowed illegal access to the pay-TV offer.

The second method was the sale of keys and codes to decrypt the signal via web pages which, in some cases, registered more than 10 million visits in less than 5 months. Some web pages provided the keys and codes via SMS. Some other pages allowed the downloading of programs to have access through the Internet to International TV channels, mainly from China, that broadcast football events only available on pay-per-view in Spain.

The third method was implemented by some local TV stations which became cable TV networks to re-broadcast the pay-TV signal to its viewers without a legal licence or authorisation.

Regards Satdude.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Satdude,

Have you a link to where this info came from ?

Cheers

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Satdude said:

The Spanish police has disbanded a network of pay-TV hackers by arresting 27 people across the country who would have defrauded the pay-TV companies of E10 million. Amonsgt the detainees there are 10 distributors of keys and codes through the Internet, nine sellers of manipulated set-top-boxes and eight responsible for local TV channels.

The pirates used three methods: First, the sale through the Internet of manipulated set-top-boxes that allowed illegal access to the pay-TV offer.

The second method was the sale of keys and codes to decrypt the signal via web pages which, in some cases, registered more than 10 million visits in less than 5 months. Some web pages provided the keys and codes via SMS. Some other pages allowed the downloading of programs to have access through the Internet to International TV channels, mainly from China, that broadcast football events only available on pay-per-view in Spain.

The third method was implemented by some local TV stations which became cable TV networks to re-broadcast the pay-TV signal to its viewers without a legal licence or authorisation.

Regards Satdude.

What,s the origin of this info,

deep joy

dave

paranoid87

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently none..
planning to get a DVB-S card/ 180cm Dish...
My Location
Qatar
hmm..

poor thing they got caught.......anyways what you sow is what you reap..

though key wasnt exactly a seed :)

As others asked too...any source ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
_http://www.advanced-television.com/2007/oct15_oct19.htm#we

But there isn't any more there than has benn quoted here I'm afraid.

ArPCPro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 80cm dish
PC: 2600K + 16GB DDR
My Location
Europe
Satdude said:
...Some other pages allowed the downloading of programs to have access through the Internet to International TV channels, mainly from China, that broadcast football events only available on pay-per-view in Spain.

This part is stupid. It should not be considered illegall to see free channels from other countries.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They probably aren't free until somebody subscribes and then streams them over the internet, a bit like the flood of DVD copies coming into Europe from the same source.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Everything is free in America

but not in China :)

Still, when pirates get to big, asking for too much money, the police will(sooner or later) react.

Don´t think that U and I would be in trouble, they are asking for bigger fish :eek: