Split from "Ooooh Dear..." thread

O

Old Fred

Forget so-called "noise figures" measured under ideal conditions in a laboratory.

According to Salvador Ferrairo who tested a bunch of LNBs in Gandia (southern Spain) the best LNBs for Astra 2D reception are the Manhattan MTI 0.6dB range. These are grey plastic (standard 40mm neck fitting) and white painted metal (C120 flange type).

Fred

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure whether he tested the new invacom, is there a list availble of his test results?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Fred, I've heard of the book, the author spent quite a lot of time on forums, this one included, gleaning free information and failing to mention that he was going to charge for the results. The invacom is not too much more expensive than the MTI blueline and I don't think that it was perhaps fully available when he carried out his tests, bear in mind it was prior to October of last year, that was why I was interested..

O

Old Fred

I don't think Salvador is charging for his book. It's sold by someone else. But if he gets paid for doing the tests and gathering information over many months I'm not going to complain. I see he's posted recently in another thread about 2D in Spain. http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=471&perpage=15&pagenumber=21

The MTI "blueline" is no longer produced. I think because it gave worse results than the older (grey) MTI 0.6.

All the Best,

Fred

Darn I meant "months" not "moths!"

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Old fred, He may not be selling the book himself, but it is still being sold on his behalf. This is a hobby forum, all contributors, like yourself give their information/advice free and without commercial benefit. It just bugs me a little when someone posts here for input on solving a problem and then sells the resultant information.

athoni

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Old Fred
I don't think Salvador is charging for his book. It's sold by someone else. But if he gets paid for doing the tests and gathering information over many months I'm not going to complain.

I'm with you on this one Fred. It sounds like he's done a great deal of research into this and even if he has used various forums for information he has hopefully condensed it all along with his personal contributions into a cohesive whole, which if done well, is an achievement in itself.(A credit to the forums that he's used would be nice, of course!) For those who can't afford it there's always the good old library!

Athoni

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Athoni, There are many other members here who have done an equal if not greater amount of research and have, on an ongoing basis offered their knowledge for nothing to forum members, regular and visiting alike. Without these people Mr F would not have the requisite information for his E-book and I can't remember seeing anything in his posts requesting feedback, which explains that he is going to charge for disseminating it.

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
I've tried this MTI with the grey case and it was useless. Now i only use the Invacom 0.3. Still trying new ones coming in but haven't found anything better yet.

G

gcohen

Originally posted by frassle
I've tried this MTI with the grey case and it was useless. Now i only use the Invacom 0.3. Still trying new ones coming in but haven't found anything better yet.

Thats also my experience with 2A and 2B. Have you compared them on 2D ?
Geoff

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Originally posted by gcohen
Thats also my experience with 2A and 2B. Have you compared them on 2D ?
Geoff

Well it's 2D I was talking about really.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Has anybody tried the Telsplit twin offset lnb?I find it gives good results on the 2.4m offset dish for astra 2D,better than any of the Invacom offset lnb's.

frassle

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cyprus
Originally posted by zorba
Has anybody tried the Telsplit twin offset lnb?I find it gives good results on the 2.4m offset dish for astra 2D,better than any of the Invacom offset lnb's.
Yes I've been using it recently. It is an improvement over the invacom but it's still not quite good enough.

O

Old Fred

Originally posted by rolfw
@ Old fred, He may not be selling the book himself, but it is still being sold on his behalf. This is a hobby forum, all contributors, like yourself give their information/advice free and without commercial benefit. It just bugs me a little when someone posts here for input on solving a problem and then sells the resultant information.
Sorry for delay. I've been away.

The book shows photos of him testing various LNBs on various dishes at a ground station in Spain. I can't see anything in it that might have come from this (or any other) forum. It's purely factual, explaining how the tests were done, showing the spectrum analyser screen displays. Technically interesting with the now well-known conclusion that the MTI LNBs which he tested gave best results for ITV (and presumably BBC now). Useful information for anyone setting up a dish in a fringe reception area, regardless of which dish or LNB they pick.

Fred