Still have a problem recording from Octagon UHD box

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
HI EVERYONE!

Well, this is a humdinger of a problem! I have connected the Octagon to a different input on the HDD/DVD machine...and you can view as it is going through by the HDMI output of the recorder. I did record some from things from the box with no issue. Tried again this morning and again, no picture only sound. I've decided that in order to record my fave music channel on 13 east, I'll have to use one of my Medion HD sat boxes with composite video and audio out connectors, and both coupled up to a antenna switch box (f-Type). I'm pretty good with technical matters, but have to say this has me banjaxed!!! C'est La Vie!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have you got the same resolution set on both boxes ?

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Right!!! I'm trying something different. I have roughed up the jack plug to see if that improves the connection. I will try it again tomorrow morning. As for the resolution, I have tried all ways. Let's see what happens.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Well this is interesting! I started off the recorder this morning and even though it was still playing through on HDMI, when I checked playback the screen went blank after about 10 minutes which brings me nicely to this. I wonder if Stars TV are using some kind of copy protection on the music video transmissions? It's my theory that is what is happening. Even though you can watch it normally, by trying to record it, it doesn't seem to work. It's food for thought! What do you all think?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
A few years ago when trying to record programmes from a Sky+ box onto a Sony DVD/HDD recorder it refused to record from some Discovery channels so it is a possibility that is your problem. I was using RGB SCART rather than composite video.

Have you tried recording the same programmes onto a USB stick?

I could set up a dish for 13°E and see if it will record onto the same Sony DVD recorder but will need to see if the box still works as I haven't used it for quite some time.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I have not tried recording to a USB stick as I don't have a spare kicking around. I'm trying to think of other ways around this problem. Hmm...interesting about what happened in your situation.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well this is interesting! I started off the recorder this morning and even though it was still playing through on HDMI, when I checked playback the screen went blank after about 10 minutes which brings me nicely to this. I wonder if Stars TV are using some kind of copy protection on the music video transmissions? It's my theory that is what is happening. Even though you can watch it normally, by trying to record it, it doesn't seem to work. It's food for thought! What do you all think?
Possibly, all broadcast recordings of HD are subject to a copyright of some kind. though there is also the need to have the correct medium from one device to another (including the cables) to be HDCP compatible, otherwise it won't work.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Possibly, all broadcast recordings of HD are subject to a copyright of some kind. though there is also the need to have the correct medium from one device to another (including the cables) to be HDCP compatible, otherwise it won't work.
It's looks as if I have been thwarted in my task to record Stars TV. Ah well!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's looks as if I have been thwarted in my task to record Stars TV. Ah well!
Or, glass half full you may have been saved from the horror.

(sorry, thinking of the RTD regenercanon of the Whodiverse Whoniverse

csb25

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax td110, technomate 2600, inverto black ultra lnb, octagon sf8008 opevix 6.4.something, Nec E557Q. Dell optiplex micro 7040 with Linux mint.
My Location
Nottingham
Screenshot_20231211-080410_Firefox.png

Works for me, as previously suggested, on USB stick.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Thank you for the info!!! Most welcomed!!!