Stopped working.

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Early this morning my sky+ box just stopped working, it came up with a message about a tec fault on this channel ,try later, flicking through I found the fault to be on all the channels. I unplugged the box for a few minutes and tried again, it wouldn't down load the EPG and the message is "No Sat received". Signal test shows no signal ether. I have a free to air box running of the same dish and same LNB for BBC radio, this is also showing no signal. No wind tonight and the dish is solid and doesnt look like it has moved at all.
It would seem to me the LNB has fried or Sky is off the air. Any thoughts??

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Robbiewright said:
Early this morning my sky+ box just stopped working, it came up with a message about a tec fault on this channel ,try later, flicking through I found the fault to be on all the channels. I unplugged the box for a few minutes and tried again, it wouldn't down load the EPG and the message is "No Sat received". Signal test shows no signal ether. I have a free to air box running of the same dish and same LNB for BBC radio, this is also showing no signal. No wind tonight and the dish is solid and doesnt look like it has moved at all.
It would seem to me the LNB has fried or Sky is off the air. Any thoughts??

Same thing happened to us this (Sunday) morning at around 0130 local (2200 GMT).
After 5 minutes (during which time nothing we did cured it) it all came back!
Must have been something to do with THEM, not US. RX here is a Panny 30
Geoff
Cyprus

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I have seen a few half harted efforts to return but it stays for a few seconds then it gone again.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Either 'them' playing, or atmospherics. Any neighbours confirm this ? or is it still a bit early to start ringing round ?

L.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
It is still out, that's almost 6 hours now, everything seems to be pointing to a dead LNB, the meter on the box is reading nothing, usually i get something just if the LNB is connected, I don't want to start moving the dish yet incase it's somthing else and Astra is hard to find out here.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yep I appreciate that, you only want to start moving that beast as a last resort. Looks like trying the spare LNB then I guess. At least you will be able to confirm or deny the 'dead' theory.

L.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Yer, I will have to give that ago I think, I thought those things were almost bullet proof.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I lost a 0.6 earlier this year. It kept losing Lo band for several hours when the sun shone on it and heated up the casing, and that's over here. Your LNB must suffer quite a bit more than that with the weather you guys get.

L.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
But it stopped at 4 in the morning, Here is a thought, I am running 2 boxes of a quad LNB, I was going through the settings a saw that both boxes had LNB power on. Do you think this would fry it?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Difficult to say really as the 2 voltages would not add but would be at 13/18 as paralell and not 18.0.18 or something similar, and the LNB would only draw the appropriate current for the voltage given. This is asuming the box chassis are earthed to the same point and the chassis are both connected to 0v on the psu.

L.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
O.K,,,,lost me a bit there, it's been working for about 6 months so I would think it's O.K. I gotta go to work for a few hours so I will have to leave it for now and maybe that big space ship will of moved out of the way by the time I get back.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I had an MTI Blueline quad fail on me last week, so it is not unknown, there should be no problems with power from other receivers, as this is required for polarity switching. :)

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Another strange thing, I have a small sat finder meter, first time I used it , it worked fine, I hooked it up this morning and it gave me a reading of about 5, nothing would change it, I put my hand in front of the LNB and even unplugged it, it stay ed the same, the reading was coming from the box not the LNB, when I unplugged it from the box it stopped, I'm sure I put it the right way around, think this might have anything to do with the loss of signal?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Do you have the means to measure the voltage output from the box?
If the PSU is not functioning properly the LNB might not be powered up,resulting in "no signal"..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Really does sound like the LNB, as you have tested with the other receiver and it isn't working with that either, have you not got a spare Robbie?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
rolfw said:
Really does sound like the LNB, as you have tested with the other receiver and it isn't working with that either, have you not got a spare Robbie?

Agree...If two stb's give out same result this does point to an LNB fault...

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
I will be able to read the volts. What should it be? I have another LNB and another box so I will try and swop thing around when I get home.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
iceman said:
Agree...If two stb's give out same result this does point to an LNB fault...
Not a space ship then???

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
The volt reading should be 13 or 18 volts depending on the polarity of channel selected on digibox.
As a matter of interest a customer with a 3.8m dish called me this morning and said he lost his channels last night.He powered off then on a couple of times but still no result.So i talked him through the new installation procedure and it came on okay(although it stated "no default transponder found" so we put 12.205 and signal came up)
Also check for spiders or webs in your feed horn if you have a prime focus dish.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
It's all working again, when I got home the free to air box was working and the sky box was, sometimes, I went to tweak the LNB and a spider did come out from the feed horn, it has been relocated and all is fine now. Thanks again every one for your help, the wife is happy again.