Strictly Come Dancing Finale in 3D

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
The ninth season of Strictly Come Dancing will air this September, and the BBC announced that while the entire season will be aired in SD and HD, depending on the BBC channel available to the viewer, the programme's finale will be in 3D.

To be made available free-to-air satellite, cable, and terrestrial via BBC's HD channel, viewers with HD channels and 3D TVs will be able to watch their favorite dancers as they whisk around Blackpool's Tower Ballroom. It will be the first time the BBC will air an entertainment show in 3D. It follows the company's 3D broadcast of the Wimbledon finals last month, and is one of a “small number of 3D TV editorial experiments it is currently undertaking on behalf of license fee payers.”

This isn't the first time BBC is using 3D for Strictly Come Dancing, though. Last year, the broadcaster recorded a 3D special for the programme which was shown in cinemas as part of their promotion of their Children in Need charity. This year's special will be broadcast live from Wembley Arena on November 19. The BBC hopes to sell 6,500 tickets for this special, and again their proceeds will go to Children in Need.

Strictly Come Dancing's finale is set to air a week before Christmas. Host, Sir Bruce Forsyth, said “I'm a bit doubtful of being in 3D because I've never been in 3D before. I hope my chin doesn't knock people off their sofas at home.”

Apart from the dancing show's finale, BBC's other 3D projects include events from next year's London Olympics.