Substitute for Sky+ box

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
Can anyone advise me on a substitue for a Sky+ box please? The subtitle facility is a must, not only to display but also record. I would prefer a one box solution, was thinking of the Humax PVR9200, but it does not seem to display or record subtitles. I realise that I will need the Dragon Cam, or some such, and that it may not last forever, but come next year when ITV go free to air it will not be so important.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Dragon CAM doesn't support NDS anymore since version 3.22, also the Dragon CAM never supported auto update of the keys so you need to swap the Sky card between the Sky box from time to time.

dalsoft

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Window XP
Atlon XP 2400+,
Atlon XP 1200,
Dell Lattitude,
SPV M2000 PDA,
Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router,
Dlink wired ADSL Router,
Drembox 500
My Location
England, Rochester
Likvid said:
Dragon CAM doesn't support NDS anymore since version 3.22, also the Dragon CAM never supported auto update of the keys so you need to swap the Sky card between the Sky box from time to time.

Hi I have a dragon cam with Predator 311(this is the only version that supports Sly UK) and NDS all works fine, however in your post you suggest that you can get it working in the CAM without the card is this true?

As when I take the card out of my CAM it stops decoding, hence my post on streaming the Signal and software decoding rather than just streaming video over the network which is expensive in terms of bandwidth.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
dalsoft said:
Hi I have a dragon cam with Predator 311(this is the only version that supports Sly UK)

Predator versions 3.11, 3.12, 3.2 and 3.21 all support Sly UK.

The latest 3.22 is in my opinion not an official release and is just an older predator that still works with c*bo which someone has updated some of the keys and renamed.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Back on-topic, my Humax CI8100PVR displays and records subtitles (although I think you have to have subtitles displayed whilst recording).The Dreambox 7xxx series also records and displays subtitles, and records them regardless of whether you had them switched on when you recorded the program.

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
_stu_ said:
Back on-topic, my Humax CI8100PVR displays and records subtitles (although I think you have to have subtitles displayed whilst recording).The Dreambox 7xxx series also records and displays subtitles, and records them regardless of whether you had them switched on when you recorded the program.
So does the Humax PVR9100!!!!
c011%5B1%5D.gif
After a lot of pratting about I found that you have to select Ceefax with your TV remote (this says not available for digital) then select page 888, glory glory. As with Dreambox it now shows subtitles on a program I test recorded yesterday. I just do not understand what the subtitle options are on the PVR itself. However I don't care. Thank you all for your help.:)

alec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
120 cm Laminas dish
Inverto Black Ultra Quad
Humax HDR1010S and Foxsat HDR; Topfield TF 4000 PVR
My Location
Southwest France
The Topfield PVRs (I have the 4000) record the incoming digital stream, including subtitles (and teletext). Picture quality is far better than my Sly boxes and recordings are indistinguishable from live. There are 2 cam slots as well. Only regret (apart from the rather quirky operating system, which you get used to after a while): not buying the fancier one that will record two channels while watching a third.