My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Moteck motorised setup with 88cm dish.
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
I want to start offering a satellite dish installation service. As part of this, I want to put together a basic inexpensive system for folks that just want the free to air channels on 28.2E.
Can anyone suggest the cheapest receiver/lnb/dish combination I could use for this and any suggestion on where I could source same would be gratefully received.
Locally, others are charging €180 for such a package - so need to get kit price down to low level to make it worth my while.
(BTW, I'm in Ireland so any installers reading this, please respond as i'm very unlikely to be taking any work away from you!).

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
As it's 28e, a freesat receiver with EPG and mini-dish / LNb is by far the best option in my opinion :)

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
satelliteman said:
As it's 28e, a freesat receiver with EPG and mini-dish / LNb is by far the best option in my opinion :)
Thanks Satelliteman. I'm in south of ireland so no freesat receiver possible. Whats the next cheapest receiver availalbe?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
borderfox said:
Thanks Satelliteman. I'm in south of ireland so no freesat receiver possible. Whats the next cheapest receiver availalbe?

The FTA receiver is a major contributor to the kit price.
If you think that you will have plenty of installations, then look into importing cheapest but reliable FTA receivers from the far east or see if you can do a good deal with any importers.
People buy FTA receivers for ~ 50 pounds, so you need something far less than that, perhaps 25-30 pounds cost to you.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would have thought that talking to some UK suppliers about Freesat receivers would be advantageous, as if they are impossible to buy in the Republic, that will give you an edge.

At €180 you are not going to be leaving yourself much margin, particularly as you have to guarantee the receiver and LNB.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
borderfox said:
Why not? Hop in a van and drive up north. Your handle would suggest you not far from there.

I'd say most people would prefer the Freesat system with its EPG and what not.

Another advantage would be that they would not be calling you up to come tune in their recievers every time a channel changes frequency. They Freesat software handles all of that (As I understand).

borderfox said:
Can anyone suggest the cheapest receiver/lnb/dish combination I could use for this and any suggestion on where I could source same would be gratefully received.
Locally, others are charging €180 for such a package - so need to get kit price down to low level to make it worth my while.
Try Lidl, they do a basic but adequate kit for €80, that leaves you €100 for the install :-rofl2

As Rolfw says, its going to be tough to beat €180. But good luck with it :)

I had been thinking of doing the same thing as a sideline, people around the border areas will definitely be looking for a replacement to the terrestrial analogue service from NI, once it goes,

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
compufunk said:
Why not? Hop in a van and drive up north. Your handle would suggest you not far from there.
Didn't know what the deal was with the freeview boxes. Is there just the one sat box - or different ones. If not, which one is best?
What do they sell for approx?

compufunk said:
Try Lidl, they do a basic but adequate kit for €80, that leaves you €100 for the install :-rofl2
I'll pass on the lidl kit but I agree as regards getting pricing down so that its €100/install.

compufunk said:
As Rolfw says, its going to be tough to beat €180. But good luck with it :)
Yeah - a bit shocked by it myself. Have checked with other installers in other areas and they charge much more than this.
compufunk said:
I had been thinking of doing the same thing as a sideline, people around the border areas will definitely be looking for a replacement to the terrestrial analogue service from NI, once it goes,
When (if) the irish digital broadcasting comes onstream, do you think they will be able to achieve uniform coverage or are there going to be areas with poor reception??

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
Sorry Compufunk - I realise now that you were assuming i'm located along the border (i'm too far away for freeview to be an option) - and were suggesting the freeview boxes and aerials as opposed to satellite right?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
borderfox said:
Sorry Compufunk - I realise now that you were assuming i'm located along the border (i'm too far away for freeview to be an option) - and were suggesting the freeview boxes and aerials as opposed to satellite right?
No, I mean Freesat. It doesn't matter how near to the border you are for that.

Sorry I'm too busy to reply to the above at the minute. Hopefully later today.

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
B & Q are selling _http://www.philex.com/parts/show/28200R this kit for €62. I probably won't be able to get any better than this will I?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
borderfox said:
B & Q are selling kit for €62. I probably won't be able to get any better than this will I?

Is this the price for end user?
There might be a quantity discount.

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
HB13DISH said:
Is this the price for end user?
Yes.
HB13DISH said:
There might be a quantity discount.
Really?
Would be grateful if someone could pm me link to supplier that could offer reasonable quality kit for good price?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
borderfox said:
Yes.
Really?
Would be grateful if someone could pm me link to supplier that could offer reasonable quality kit for good price?

Start with B&Q and ask if they have quantity discount and the qty breaks for this specific kit. :)

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Isn't that a clearance line price?.. they look like the silvercrest boxes that are all over the place under silvercrest, comag, televes,and possibly maplin fta box/ sold at aldi & lidl (so it is the same as lidl but not that z2 dish/ lnb combination) ......

Is it a true freesat/ auto updating box with proper digital text services and 7 day epg?

They've got Diseqc 1* 1.1* but can cause very slow switching of channels even on same satellite if diseqc 1/1.1 is on.... 1.2 & usals ..odd satellite changing having to step through all satellites to get to another... or have they fixed that lot, not the most sensitive either- you might need a 60.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
pedro2000uk said:
Isn't that a clearance line price?.. they look like the silvercrest boxes that are all over the place under silvercrest, comag, televes,...........
Yes, It looks like a FTA kit rather than Freesat. It does look like the Comag / Silvercrest SL65, same remote too.

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
There must be some of you in the uk providing these (proper Freesat systems) as part of an install package. Would be grateful if you could pm me supplier details.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
borderfox said:
There must be some of you in the uk providing these (proper Freesat systems) as part of an install package. Would be grateful if you could pm me supplier details.

Sorry borderfox, but the PM system is not available to new members.
You need to wait few more weeks.
In the meantime, enable vCard from your CP.

Regarding your post, as I mentioned before, the best way to get prices down is to buy wholesale.
You can make your own kit, at least this is what I would do
- Receiver
- Dish
- LNB
- Coaxial Cable
- Mounting Accessories
Try to contact our Forum Site Supporters to see if they can give you a discounted prices on their already made kits or for individual parts.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/index.php?page=sponsors
Good Luck. :)

Edit: Sorry, you are not a new member, but you need more post counts.
Try sending a PM to yourself and see if you get a message.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Have you considered offering a better service/ better system .. value added etc... rather trying to work with that low figure because unless you can get the costs down you could be working for nothing.

borderfox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar 2 PCI card;
Dreambox 7020S
2x Eagle Linux Boxes
Multi LNB bracket
My Location
Ireland
pedro2000uk said:
Have you considered offering a better service/ better system .. value added etc... rather trying to work with that low figure because unless you can get the costs down you could be working for nothing.
The plan would be to offer other options of course but just want to be able to compete when it comes to the very basic package also.