Suggestions for a 10 year old's coding style christmas present

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As per the title, I'm somewhat stumped on a suitable gift for a year 5 child that is already into coding a robot at school - DASH which is already last years tech and now beneath them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonder-Wor...9355&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=coding+robot&psc=1 , so I don't wish something similar for the home and looking around, there are none that look as though they might retain interest beyond the festive period.

Last years must have games were Tellagami, MyBoo and Pokemon, the last would at least get her out the house.

I already have Raspberry Pi and Arduino boards here with interfaces but they haven't generated much interest, if at all. Are there add on kits for somebody of this age ?

Main time spent when at home appears to be ;
Minecraft (as of late),
Programming (in Scratch) last year on the XP laptop.
Some - free - apps on a Galaxy Tablet but these are more arcade style games (Crossy Road/ hidden object / character dress up), I would be hesitant to pay for an app that might not update accordingly as she gains experience.

I do have a PS4 languishing about somewhere but I haven't checked so far to see if there are discs available that are computer education based.

A few children with interests in computing/coding from the school, including her have been invited to attend BETT 2019 next January

What’s on at Bett

but since this is the new year it's not helping me find something suitable.

Budget is around £100 for a complete hardware/software solution, somewhat less if it has to be books or a subscription to magazines.

She does have an interest in music (more keyboard) so I am looking for something about that enables composing, and/or setting up synthesiser functions to her own personal requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How about helping her to set up a minecraft server from first principles for herself & keen friends??

Not coding as such but would get her into the wonderful arane black arts of windows setup, networking etc. It wouldnt need the latest & fastest computer & the minecraft downloads are free from MS

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Interesting.

How do I wrap something like that up ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Kids............

Yes. I'm also a bit confused about the BETT show, it all looks adult, the last commercial 'toy show' I attended was 'no kids allowed'

(she has mentioned that there is a Minecraft stand there.......)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Oh dear, the other half has ordered a Nintendo 2DS after 'consultation' with sprog.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
After more or less continuous play on the 2DS a message has flagged up asking to create a Nintendo Network ID.

All I can find outside the usual promo detail from Nintendo - What is a Nintendo Network ID? - is this

The Benefits of a Nintendo Network ID - GeekDad

I'm assuming if the correct date of birth is entered when creating (using the wifey's email address) it's going to cause all sorts of restrictions down the line, so what have others done in a similar situation ? Allegedly the WiiU and Switch have similar access requirements.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Never had or used one

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I haven't applied yet for the NNID, I'm hoping she will get tired of what is already on the console, but it's not looking good.

I bought one of these, in order to kickstart the coding at home and provide a couple of quality hours together, rather than relying on the school and an afterschool club, but it wasn't to be.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FM1VGTV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whilst it looked good in the paper I had made for Christmas morning unwrapping, when she opened it (again last night the sheer number of individual pieces put her off rather quickly, despite my offer to count and separate the bolt/nut sizes into easy secitons, and then after about ten minutes of Doctor Who yesterday I'd had enough of the procrastinating and put it together.

There are a number of bits left over from the motor packet, since these are generic servos for a host of other projects, plus the jaws required a lot of manual adjustment to get them to grip anything, but the hardware is together, calbrated in terms of the movement angles, and should be functional once the PWM board arrives for the Arduino.20190102_115214.jpg20190102_115309.jpg