Super Power Jack

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Tracking old birds is fraught with danger.

What if the missus finds out?

Edit: Sorry, Pete, didn't see your contribution: Great (?) minds ..........

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Things on hold for a few days I never checked my email yesterday and the supplier is out of stock of 24 and 18 inch actuators my money has been refunded straight back in to my paypal account,

So now I have ended up ordering a super power jack harl-3618 18 inch from ebay and it should be with me in the next two days,

I was hoping to get it all done today but I can still make a start with the pole :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
For inclination, you can check my thread on how I did it. I am using it to switch between C band and Ku band LNBs but can just as easily track inclined birds.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
For inclination, you can check my thread on how I did it. I am using it to switch between C band and Ku band LNBs but can just as easily track inclined birds.

Thanks C/J I watched your thread in the making but what I don't understand why you had to move the position of the dish with that bracket? will I have to do the same ? ive seen some people who have put inclined motor on the dish and not done the work you have,

Would you explain to a novice please.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You absolutely do not have to move the dish up the bracket like I have. The only reason for doing it was to raise the dish slightly as there's a house in the way blocking pretty much everything from 13E onwards. Raising the dish slightly allowed it to peek over the house to get reasonable signal - though I am still completely missing 26E and everything from 46E onwards.

Yes, I could have simply extended the pole but the dish is already being partially overlooked by the neighbour and I didn't want anything permanent. If they do complain, I can always move it down the bracket again.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks C/J, i thought the work was due to the incline, Would i be right in saying if i did install a C band lnb and for instance wanted to scan 0.8w send the dish to 0.8w on ku band then its just a case of raising the dish to the correct place with no W/E movement please.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That's correct. Just make sure that your LNBs are equally centred, otherwise you'd still need to do small E/W adjustments.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks again C/J i will get the pole sorted and the new actuator fitted and make sure i am hitting the arc ok,

Then i will move on to inclination and C band, ATM i use two stb one drives the v box and i use my skybox for scanning. i will attach another v box to the sky box for up and down movement and just use stb to move the dish, i will make sure the v box position is set to 0 on ku band so if i get lost its just a case of sending the v box to 0 then i am back on ku, hope this makes sense.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
That was quick time to start work methinks:)
DSCN5280.JPG

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent - looking forward to hearing of your exploits :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Ive just popped out and clamped the dish up it will save time I am thinking the pulse might be different but if so it should still get me very near then just a few clicks and save, not like starting from scratch, just going to have some lunch and I will go and get it fitted, I will have to sort the pole tomorrow.
DSCN5283.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
One thing - make SURE that both ball joints are free to move. All jacks I had had very, very tight joints, which would create extra stress on the jack and imprecise alignment.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
lol thanks C/J yes I checked that I bought some special oil for the joints and freed the joints up with the oil, ok I have it fitted its a little different inside than my old one, my wires are very close to this item before I try to move the dish does this item need to move please,
DSCN5284.JPG DSCN5286.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
This is a magnetic wheel, which activates the pulses on the reed switch (small grey and black wires to the right of it). So, yes, it moves every time you move the dish :) Keep the cables away from it...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks C/J I will pop out and make some alterations and give it a test.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
you didn't feel the need to use a heavy duty version of actuator ?

I thought you was buying a 1.8 dish soon ?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Its in my plans wod when money permits but after some thought it is now going to be an addition to my 1.2 and 1mtr, I will put heavy duty version on the 1.8,

Ok wires moved out of the way I have just gone to 7w then 30w and she is tracking well, I might have to fine tune but the dish is coming down tomorrow so not going to go to town on alignment,

No limits set yet but that's another job for tomorrow when the pole has been modified, I will have to keep an eye on what I do tonight ;)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
My cm 1.2 is in the shed too heavy to lift up past the gutter so left with a cm 1m up there.

I'm thinking might ground mount it for 7west.

Have you got room for a 1.8 they are rather large, you could go for aluminium 1.8 prime focus setup instead ?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks wod, do you think a 1.8 prime focus is better than the C/M please ?, yes I am sure I will be able to fit a 1.8 in here somewhere.
DSCN5287.JPG