TD78 Now on Sky.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Could be the bracket is turning the dish slightly when it is being tightened up. Just a theory.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
I'm going back to the drawing board on this problem, but one thing I know is I'll be using my tried and trusted method of alignment on Sky. Using one of my old Panasonic TU-DSB30 boxes, set the dish up to get maximum levels on the default transponder and then everything else will fall into place. I have had excellent results doing dishes this way and it's just a shame I didn't do the same with this one. Next nice day we get, I'll be setting up the big dish again.:D:D:D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
In my experience, the bracket turning when you tighten it up only has significant affects on dishes of 1m and above. When I've had to realign my motorised dish tightening the motor bracket becomes a refined last adjustment.

Going back to what you've previously said about moving the dish from Astra to Eurobird, my 1.2M dish will pick up transponders from 5W when doing a blind scan of 4W so I can't imagine a TD78 being less forgiving. Your idea of going back to the beginning and using a tried a tested method is probably best. Had I been at my Mum's (Langley Park) I'd have offered to pop along and give you a hand!!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Just be aware the DSB30 has a bug in it that can cause it to lock up on very weak or non-existent signals.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
In my experience, the bracket turning when you tighten it up only has significant affects on dishes of 1m and above. When I've had to realign my motorised dish tightening the motor bracket becomes a refined last adjustment.

Going back to what you've previously said about moving the dish from Astra to Eurobird, my 1.2M dish will pick up transponders from 5W when doing a blind scan of 4W so I can't imagine a TD78 being less forgiving. Your idea of going back to the beginning and using a tried a tested method is probably best. Had I been at my Mum's (Langley Park) I'd have offered to pop along and give you a hand!!

A blind scan on 4w will bring everthing on 5w on my td88 thats for sure. I had to tighten my brackets diagonally though as i kept my eye on the signal meter and it did change by 4%maximum SNR so it might be worth keeping your eye on that when tightening.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Thanks for all replies. I have had no problems setting up dishes on Sky with TU-DSB30. I just keep an eye on the strength & quality as I tighten things upThey are a superb box and when I first changed from a Z1 minidish, I set up the TD64 using this method and that was back in 2009. Pete! I know Langley Park as I used to drive a van round that way over 20 years ago when I was doing electronics at Ushaw Moor.:D

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Pete! I know Langley Park as I used to drive a van round that way over 20 years ago when I was doing electronics at Ushaw Moor.:D

Without turning this thread completely OT, I grew up in Bowburn and we moved to Stockton on Tees when I was 12. I moved down to Orpington, Kent some 22 years later in connection with a job and Mum moved to Langley Park in 2000.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Just over the way from Bowburn! :) Sorry for going off-topic a bit Admin!

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk

I can scan 9e and 10e from the same position on my 1.1m here but I've not noticed with 5w and 4w though

Without turning this thread completely OT, I grew up in Bowburn and we moved to Stockton on Tees when I was 12. I moved down to Orpington, Kent some 22 years later in connection with a job and Mum moved to Langley Park in 2000.
Just over the way from Bowburn! :) Sorry for going off-topic a bit Admin!

I'm originally from Stockton and knew a lad from Bowburn and people down the way in Coxhoe lol

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I'm originally from Stockton and knew a lad from Bowburn and people down the way in Coxhoe lol

Blimey Smoggy, did you go to the same school as me??

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I've read this with fasination, something is well a miss for sure, its bloody annoying me and its not my problem!!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Ghostleader I am pleased you fully understand the frustration I'm going through. I will get this right. Like I said before the dish and everything else is fine, I think it was just my alignment method that was wrong. Having another go ASAP, certainly before that white stuff comes down!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
WHOO HOO!! Just completed the job! I decided to get the job done and have another crack at it and I'm pleased to say that all is great. The problem was the elevation- it was slightly off causing all sorts of headaches and snags. So with determination and a few choice un-postable words I went for it even though it is very windy here today :eek:. Signal quality levels are high. Cracked it lads! Photos to come in due course!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So now, IT IS ON SKY! :)

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Here are the pics for your enjoyment! :) The LNB is a GT SAT quad output.

Attachments

• Sky Dish1.JPG
    Sky Dish1.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Sky Dish2.JPG
    Sky Dish2.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done Tony. Now put an offset lnb on it for 19E :-rofl2

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Very drole, AS! I had enough trouble getting the bloody thing on Sky without making life difficult by adding an offset LNB! :)

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Blimey Smoggy, did you go to the same school as me??

School, whats a school?

I went to Grangefield <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grangefield_School> when I was there (many a day I'd walk in the front doors to get my mark then leave by the back doors down the cycle tracks lol

WHOO HOO!! Just completed the job! I decided to get the job done and have another crack at it and I'm pleased to say that all is great. The problem was the elevation- it was slightly off causing all sorts of headaches and snags. So with determination and a few choice un-postable words I went for it even though it is very windy here today :eek:. Signal quality levels are high. Cracked it lads! Photos to come in due course!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So now, IT IS ON SKY! :)

I was going to suggest elevation or moving the LNB back or forth in the bracket

Glad you got it sorted in the end, give it a week or so and the bug will bite again and you'll be up there tinkering, fiddling and swapping stuff out :D

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Smoggy, having looked at your profile you couldn't possibly have been at school with me....I was 34 when you were born...:-rofl2

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
That dish is staying on Sky only - nothing more. I can get all the others through the motorised very easily.