TD78 Now on Sky.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
HI ALL!

OK! I set up my new dish this morning and according to my Silvercrest box audio tone, all is aligned and working well. Now a puzzle. I checked the signal level on the Sky HD box and getting high readings on most channels except for some on Eurobird @28.5e. Vintage TV has low signal quality (60%) yet reads higher on the Silvercrest. Now, I did read on here that Eurobird is coming to the end of it's life? :wacko: Same on the motorised, too!

Hmmm...puzzling! Any answers lads? Like I say, all is working well.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
On my VU+, Vintage TV is 62% SNR while BBC1 HD is 92% SNR....I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think it's more indicative of the slight positional difference of Eurobird than anything else and who knows, that transponder (or channel) may end up on the new sat when it goes up next week. Would be nice if they did something about the picture quality though, I know it's mainly old clips but......

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
As far as I know, Sky HD boxes only take a reading from a single transponder, which is 11778V by default. It doesn't matter what channel you're viewing on there... at least that's how it was in the past.

And.. Tony... you need to become more proficient in picture posting :D

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
So a new bird is going up next week? Sounds good...because I think one or two transponders may be failing a bit on Eurobird. A piccie of my dish will follow soon, Jack! By the way, the LNB I'm using for Sky is GT Sat quad output. I did have a Smart Titanium quad LNB on there, but one input failed.

Last edited:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Vintage TV is currently on a frequency (11261 H) that would remain with Eutelsat even if SES get to take over some of the others. If Eutelsat 28A does fail I suspect 28B will be taken into service.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I know what the problem is here. It is not the satellite or the dish alignment. It's the LNB. When I set up a Triax 60cm dish for the bedroom and my little studio, I used the same brand on a dual output and had problems, this one is the quad output version and it's doing the same. I changed the one on the 60cm dish to an old Lemon dual output one that I had in my spares box and all was well again. Looks like I'll have to change it on the TD78. It could be that the Sky HD boxes are "allergic" to the GT Sat dual/quad LNB's. I have a brand new dual output Icecrypt Black Twin so I may use that or go for a Smart titanium one.

STRANGE BUT TRUE! :)

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Plumbed for the SMART! :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Interesting article, Jack, but not quite what is going on here. I have ordered a dual output Smart Titanium as I know they are OK and I'm sure it will sort out the problem.:-respekt

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try tweaking the skew of the lnb Tony - 28.2E / 28.5E is unusual - the skews are slightly different. Tweak for Eutelsat and see if Astra holds up

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Already tried that AS. It's set at the 7 o'clock position. I am confident that a change of LNB will sort this. Also, my cable run is between 17-20 meters long. My problems started using the GT Sat dual/quad output LNB's.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not unknown for lnb's to cause odd problems. Ive got 2 or 3 MTI BlueLine singles here I cant use on the main dish network - they "trap" the receivers & "wont let go" when you change satellite!

They are fine for mucking around with spare dishes in the garden with an old Vantage receiver, but not on the 10 dish system

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Quite agree AS. LNB's are a strange beast, one type can give you grief and another will work totally fine. Why? There's one hell of a question!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The best thing to do is find a type that works for you, then stick to it :)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Yes it is odd. I've got a couple of old Sky mini dishes with 12 year old Gundig LNBs that mess up my DiSEqC switches so I bought some newer Sky quads off eBay and the problem went away.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Been looking in my box of LNB's. I have Digiquest (2 new boxed), Smart Titanium (2 used), MTI supreme line (2 new boxed), ALPS bullet type (3 used), Silvercrest (1 new unboxed) Icecrypt dual output (new boxed) and a few (new) minidish types. Yeah, quite a selection. It's strange what LNB's you amass over time! :)

What do you lads have in the spares box????

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
A spare Black Ultra and an old monoblock which I swapped for a single, which I took off a friends dish a few weeks back. That's all.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
This could be a whole topic of its own. Right now in my old bedroom at my parents place in Finland I have... 1 x Sky Zinwell quad new, 1 x Alps 0.7dB used, 2 x MTi AP8-TW C120 used, and 1 x Gardiner wideband 0.8dB used (about 20 years old!!).

In my apartment I've got 3 x single Black Ultra new, 2 x single Inverto multiconnect narrow used, 2 x twin multiconnect narrow used, 1 x twin Smart Titanium used, plus an old circular polarised LNB off a BSB dish.

Plus I got some more oldies I the UK.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
9 slim inverto singles,lots of twin icecrypts(surprisingly good cheap lnb),icecrypt short single and a nikkai twin.