Technomate 5402 M4

Status
Not open for further replies.
so does the M4 have the blindscan bug where it brings in TPs from a hidden Database even if you cant pick them up (out of range or dont actually exist)
Since the last firmware update that issue seems to have been resolved.
 
Is the blind scan still the full band range or is it possible to select a frequency range and polarity for a blind scan?
For example, is it possible to select a frequency scan of 11000 to 11200 MHz in H polarity?
 
good question mate - there will be no need to try and find an old 5402M3 soon if you can.
 
Is the blind scan still the full band range or is it possible to select a frequency range and polarity for a blind scan?
For example, is it possible to select a frequency scan of 11000 to 11200 MHz in H polarity?
No the Blind Scan is a full band scan. The options available are Mode selection (All, FTA, Scrambled, TV Only, HD or SD) and Multistream (On/Off)

Have you owned a TM previously.
 
No the Blind Scan is a full band scan. The options available are Mode selection (All, FTA, Scrambled, TV Only, HD or SD) and Multistream (On/Off)

Have you owned a TM previously.
maybe its not an issue if the blind scan is MUCH faster than it used to be on the older TMs
 
Is the blind scan still the full band range or is it possible to select a frequency range and polarity for a blind scan?
For example, is it possible to select a frequency scan of 11000 to 11200 MHz in H polarity?

I made a third party request to have the same lnb menu the same as the M3 implemented onto the M4 but didn't get anywhere
 
No the Blind Scan is a full band scan. The options available are Mode selection (All, FTA, Scrambled, TV Only, HD or SD) and Multistream (On/Off)

Have you owned a TM previously.

Yes, I have owned the TM-5402 (M1) model and I think I might have an M3 model.

Previous models of the TM-5402 prior to the M4 all contained frequency range selection for blind scan
For my personal usage, without frequency range selection for blind scan the M4 model is just another two bob junk box, not fit for house room.
 
Last edited:
maybe its not an issue if the blind scan is MUCH faster than it used to be on the older TMs

Personally, it is not the speed of a blind scan that is important, it is having the option to narrow the scan range to avoid having all the unwanted junk.

For example, if you want to scan for a feed on 0.8W or 28.2E you gonna get hundereds of channels scanned in that are nowt to do with what you are looking for.
It fills up the transponders lists with unwanted garbage.
 
Last edited:
I made a third party request to have the same lnb menu the same as the M3 implemented onto the M4 but didn't get anywhere


I think Technomate may have outsourced the production of the M4 receiver to a different supplier than previously used for the M2 and M3 models?
This might have something to do with the loss of range selection for blind scan?
 
Yes, I have owned the TM-5402 (M1) model and I think I might have an M3 model.

Previous models of the TM-5402 prior to the M4 all contained frequency range selection for blind scan
From my personal usage, without frequency range selection for blind scan the M4 model is just another two bob junk box, not fit for house room.
Again as you say, a personal opinion but one I can’t agree with. Whatever you feel about it it’s definitely not a “two bob junk box”.
 
I think Technomate may have outsourced the production of the M4 receiver to a different supplier than previously used for the M2 and M3 models?
This might have something to do with the loss of range selection for blind scan?
Unfortunately with the general decline in interest in the whole area of satellite TV reception I imagine many STB manufacturers have followed a similar path when it comes to manufacturing. In fact with the serious lack of microchip availability we are lucky to be getting STBs at all.

Not having owned any previous TM5402 model I do see the complete change away from the previous software/UI compared to the previous range of STBs. As I mentioned above the bi weekly firmware updates are addressing outstanding issues so owners are not being ignored.

For me the M4 is a solid FTA motorised capable receiver unlike a number of other recommended brands that failed miserably controlling my motorised satellite dish reliably.
 
I made a third party request to have the same lnb menu the same as the M3 implemented onto the M4 but didn't get anywhere
How many other owners made the same request one wonders.
 
Again as you say, a personal opinion but one I can’t agree with. Whatever you feel about it it’s definitely not a “two bob junk box”.


One thing is for sure, it deffo aint a £100 box, there are boxes at less money that offer the same functionality.

For anyone capable of taking on the task of getting to grips with an E2 receiver they offer excellent parameter selection for blind scan including selection of frequency, polarity and SR
Plenty of them around at sensible money and less than the £100 rip off price that the M4 costs.

For non E2, the GT Media range of receivers cost less than an M4 and provide a good range of functionality.
 
Unfortunately with the general decline in interest in the whole area of satellite TV reception I imagine many STB manufacturers have followed a similar path when it comes to manufacturing. In fact with the serious lack of microchip availability we are lucky to be getting STBs at all.

Not having owned any previous TM5402 model I do see the complete change away from the previous software/UI compared to the previous range of STBs. As I mentioned above the bi weekly firmware updates are addressing outstanding issues so owners are not being ignored.

For me the M4 is a solid FTA motorised capable receiver unlike a number of other recommended brands that failed miserably controlling my motorised satellite dish reliably.

... Ever heard the saying - 'you can't kid a kidder' ?.
 
Just dugout an old starsat 2000 just to see how similar the menu’s are, and guess what they are very similar and funnily enough they had the same extras as the mk4
 
One thing is for sure, it deffo aint a £100 box, there are boxes at less money that offer the same functionality.

For anyone capable of taking on the task of getting to grips with an E2 receiver they offer excellent parameter selection for blind scan including selection of frequency, polarity and SR
Plenty of them around at sensible money and less than the £100 rip off price that the M4 costs.

For non E2, the GT Media range of receivers cost less than an M4 and provide a good range of functionality.
You’ve nailed it. Why should anyone have to get their heads around a receiver. You’re not comparing like with like here. Clearly the M4 is not an open source Linux box.

I’ve no doubt TM will be addressing certain hardware/firmware aspects of the M4 as has been witnessed with the incremental firmware updates.

They have chosen to remove a particular aspect of their firmware clearly for legal reasons which has incensed a certain quarter and as a result these guys continue to rubbish the M4. If I was that desperate for that feature a cheapo homemade Android box with a rooted version of Android 9 would achieve all that and more.

When you do find a technical fault with the M4 by all means share it with us all. If it can’t be addressed I for one will be looking for a refund on my M4 purchase.
 
how quick is blind scan compared to older TMs
 
They have chosen to remove a particular aspect of their firmware clearly for legal reasons which has incensed a certain quarter and as a result these guys continue to rubbish the M4. If I was that desperate for that feature a cheapo homemade Android box with a rooted version of Android 9 would achieve all that and more.

Legal reasons for removing AU are nowt to do with the loss of frequency range selection for blind scan.
Considering all previous versions of the TM-5402 had frequency range selection its removal in the M4 is a backwards step and a major loss for DX enthusiasts, particulalry feed hunters.

There aint any hope that Technomate will get the frequency range selection for blind scan reintroduced.
It looks like they have outsourced the manufacture of the box to a supplier who make quite a few receivers, none of which have frequency range selection.

By the way, I am not one of the certain quarter incensed by the AU removal, I did not fall for the Technomate hype and get sucked into parting with my wad for an M4
My comments are based on Technomates past performance and what I consider to be a long history of sub standard customer support.
 
Legal reasons for removing AU are nowt to do with the loss of frequency range selection for blind scan.
Considering all previous versions of the TM-5402 had frequency range selection its removal in the M4 is a backwards step and a major loss for DX enthusiasts, particulalry feed hunters.

There aint any hope that Technomate will get the frequency range selection for blind scan reintroduced.
It looks like they have outsourced the manufacture of the box to a supplier who make quite a few receivers, none of which have frequency range selection.

By the way, I am not one of the certain quarter incensed by the AU removal, I did not fall for the Technomate hype and get sucked into parting with my wad for an M4
My comments are based on Technomates past performance and what I consider to be a long history of sub standard customer support.
Well we will agree to disagree so.

I’m on my second TM in ten years. My first experience was a satisfactory one and I only have my second, the M4 two months and so far so good.

I don’t spend endless amounts of money purchasing STBs. No need. I’ll leave that pastime to others. I didn’t fall for anyone’s hype nor did I part with my wad for the M4 as you so colourfully put it. In fact I’m commenting as an M4 owner and not a spectator.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top