Technomate or Fortec ?

sambat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 3100 Sky +
My Location
Southampton
Hi, I am going to give the overpriced Sky subcription the elbow and purchase a FTA receiver, utilising the old Sky dish.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Technomate TM5200D Super, or the Fortec FS4400.
My requirements are to be able to record, a good EPG, and use my old Sky dish.

Can anyone offer any advice or recommendation on these receivers for a novice?
Also any comments on the recording quality from either or both receivers?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't comment on the recording quality, but would probably take the Technomate over the Fortecstar any day.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Technomate receivers are also well supported. The 5200 is pvr ready and you'll require the external hard drive :)

juustme

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 Shuttle Box XP Pro 800 FSB TwinHan PCI
My Location
uk
I like my technomate however I tend to use my dreambox 500 which allows me to retain the full channel 5 selection (though the dreambox remote & ease of use leave LOTS to be desired). As for recording, with the technomate keep in mind USB drives are cheap now 4GB gets you 2+ hours easy.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
sambat said:
Hi, I am going to give the overpriced Sky subcription the elbow and purchase a FTA receiver, utilising the old Sky dish.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Technomate TM5200D Super, or the Fortec FS4400.
My requirements are to be able to record, a good EPG, and use my old Sky dish.

Can anyone offer any advice or recommendation on these receivers for a novice?
Also any comments on the recording quality from either or both receivers?

TMs a good choice, good back up for firmware, easy to patch or works really well with a Diablo light. Records TS files (transport stream) through USB, I record mine onto a 8 gig data stick, which can also be easily converted & burned onto DVD.

For the sake of a few extra quid though best to buy the TM-5400 CI+USB Super.

See Here! _http://www.technomate.com/viewproduct2.php?product=80

sambat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 3100 Sky +
My Location
Southampton
Excuse my ignorance, but do I need a CAM if I am just pointing at Astra 28E?
I have only been used to the very commercial satellite receivers to date SK* and Bush Freesat which have basically been plug and play.

I know so little about these receivers I am wondering what I am getting into...

Any advice greatly received..

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
sambat said:
Excuse my ignorance, but do I need a CAM if I am just pointing at Astra 28E?
I have only been used to the very commercial satellite receivers to date SK* and Bush Freesat which have basically been plug and play.

I know so little about these receivers I am wondering what I am getting into...

Any advice greatly received..
Ah! Right thought you were getting involved with the wonderful world of motorised dishes etc!

Not sure if a TM works with a s*ky dish, but if the programs you want to watch are 'Free to Air' (FTA) then no cam will be needed

sambat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 3100 Sky +
My Location
Southampton
I am not sure if it is any relevance but I did buy a Bush HD Freesat receiver, plugged it into my Sky dish and got a good selection of Channels, with excellent picture quality.
The Freesat receiver was returned as it kept locking up and had to be unplugged.
I was hoping that a Fortec or a TM would be a good choice to try Freesat again, albeit in SD.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
sambat said:
I am not sure if it is any relevance but I did buy a Bush HD Freesat receiver, plugged it into my Sky dish and got a good selection of Channels, with excellent picture quality.
The Freesat receiver was returned as it kept locking up and had to be unplugged.
I was hoping that a Fortec or a TM would be a good choice to try Freesat again, albeit in SD.
Well as I mentioned earlier, TM would be a good choice. But then again I am being slightly biased as I own one, mind you had it not lived upto my expectation the top box would now be a part some landfill site somewhere in the SE! ;) :)