Technomate Software Malfunction

Paul E

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500
My Location
North East
Hello Everybody
I have just bought a technomate 5500 super PVR and after 3 months without any problems i had a software malfunction and now all that i get is 4 little LEDs scrolling along the front panel. I rang technomate who told me i have to download the Loader from there website and update the reicever.
In order to do this i need a RS232 cable , however like most laptops there isnt a RS232 port , so i bought a USB to RS232 convertor and then a RS232 to RS232 lead and hooked it all up, i ran the software from the technomate site and it could not find the reciever.
So i dont know if i have the right leads or whats going wrong.
Please Help

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Thread moved from 'pictures of members setups' section.

Hi, a USB serial converter into a null cable should work as mentioned. Assume you ran the supplied installation driver software that should of come with the converter.

Paul E

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500
My Location
North East
Hey Satelliteman
Thats what i did ! I got the driver with the USB to RS232 convertor , installed it with no problems but when i plug in the reciever with the RS232 cable the technomate downloader programme cannot detect it , it just tells me to plug the reciever in and turn it on.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Check that the usb-serial converter is working. You can do that by running hyperterminal and trying to make a call. It should say connected even if nothing is on the other end.

If that is fine, or you just want to try it anyway, turn the receiver OFF at the switch. Then starter the loader, press CONNECT, then turn the receiver back on at the switch. It should then work OK.

If the above doeas not work and you are sure that the serial works, then the box is probably stuffed.

Oh, another thing you can do if the serial-usb does not work, is to unplug it from usb and back in again, this sometimes jerks them into action.

Paul E

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500
My Location
North East
Hey Man
I Dont Know what a hyperterminal is but i tried the rest of your advice and all the loader says is CONNECT YOUR RECIEVER AND TURN IT ON ! I have a usb to rs232 convertor with a female to female rs232 lead from that to my reciever , i mean i might of bought the wrong leads as there was alot to chose from on ebay.

Maybe i should of stuck with SKY.......