The 2.4M Fortec Star on C-Band.

The relatively light weight does make it very easy to move about, I was even tempted to haul it on to the flat roof of the shed which would give me good coverage down to 66E but I'm not sure all the neighbours would appreciate it quite as much me!

One catch tonight was a surprise, more for the symbol rate than the signal strength, this is on 20E.

20esaudia.webp
 
how would the 2.4 fortec compare with a 1.8 channelmaster?, would I get more channels?
On Ku no. Not at all. Even if you machined your own super-scalar-rings, and modified countless "standard" ku-lnbs.
It just wont fly. The CM180 is a high-accuracy device in the Ku-band range, which the Jonsa/Fortec Star can only approximate.

Different story on C-band. Greater areas, and less susceptible to surface variations - the 2.4 gives better reception.
But shorter life-span in the UK and scandinavia - the rust gets to it looong before the CM is affected even marginally.

Hence my challenge elsewhere on this forum - short-lived happy-days on C-band vs long-life on all bands, but with a much higher price.
 
A couple of grabs from this mornings poke about,

TVGE on 3E 4050L @ 6.5dB
TVGE NATIONAL_0031 4050_H_5500_20161004_105203.webp


Dove TV on 5E 3696L. El Technico desperately trying to tune the STB to rebroadcast Dove onto satellite.
DOVE-TELEVISION_0049 3696_H_1683_20161004_094304.webp
 
A couple of grabs from this afternoons poking about.
It's a shame I've had to scale this one down for the board to accept it because the original grab is quite impressive!
Fashion One-4K HD 47.5W, 4178L 30000 23
FashionOne-4K_3125 4178_H_30000_20161005_160636.webp

A feed currently up on 58W ID is Caracol Miami and rebroadcasting VTV Venezuela. 3804H 2000 3/5
Caracol Miami_3020 3804_H_2000_20161005_170409.webp
 
One last lot for today this time on 55.5W and five transponders I can't find listed on the usual sites.

3923H, 4400 ID as MPEG4 and broadcasting TVC Televicentro Honduras.
MPEG4_3045 3923_H_4400_20161005_183155.webp

3963V, 5833, 3 different format IDs all sending Rede Século 21, Brazil.
SD Brasil_3045 3963_V_5833_20161005_183010.webp

3971V, 2500 ID as JockeyTV, Monterrico TV, Peru.
JockeyTV_3045 3971_V_2500_20161005_204935.webp

3974V, 2500 ID Maronas sending Canal U Uruguay.
Maronas_3045 3974_V_2500_20161005_202644.webp

4106H, 1300 Tropical TV, Ecuador.
Tropical_3045 4106_H_1300_20161005_201227.webp
 
Last edited:
Get them submitted .... then they will be on the usual sites!

Nice work.
 
I will, let's just hope Lyngsat bothers to add them.

Two more feeds on 55.5W before I switch off

3909V, 3700, ID TVPRENSA3 British English news report from Colombia? talking about Colombian Farc rebels.
TVPRENSA3_3045 3909_V_3700_20161005_210508.webp

3940V, 4400 ID DXA ECU 1 Fox Sports in Spanish from Quito, Ecuador.
DXA ECU 1_3045 3940_V_4399_20161005_211240.webp
 
55.5W is turning out to be a busy bird for feeds.

4122H, 2222 Ericsson Service for RTS Ecuador.
Ericsson Service_3045 4122_H_2222_20161006_125710.webp

3912V 7200 8PSK GCUK Enc 1 China V Syria football
GCUK Enc 1_3045 3912_V_7200_20161006_124904.webp

3742H 5000 Willax TV HD and JN19 HD Peru. Not sure if this means Caribvision on 3741H is no longer on air?
Willax TV HD_3045 3742_H_5000_20161006_130534.webp JN19 HD_3045 3742_H_5000_20161006_130541.webp
 
I fitted the other Scalar yesterday afternoon, set it to the correct fd of .38 on the C1W and used a spare scalar to clamp the LNB. Using a medium strength signal on 55W I peaked the focal distance of the LNB and then the f/d setting on the front scalar on the LNB. Somewhat surprisingly best performance is actually within a couple of mm of where it should be and I've gained about 0.3-4dB over the original thrown together arrangement.

scalar24.webp
 
Here's one I've not seen for a long time, Cholusat on 43.1W, still looks like it's being sourced off air.
 

Attachments

  • Nameless 3877_1_3169 3877_V_1546_20161009_114731.webp
    Nameless 3877_1_3169 3877_V_1546_20161009_114731.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 41
My 1.8 is a Precision prime focus but as a comparison and using an ESX241 this is what I'm getting on 38E at the moment (see the AV-comm thread)

3984V 6.9dB
4047V 4.1dB
4089V 4.3dB
4162V 8.9dB
 
it was your 2.4 vs 1.8 test i would like to see when testing 2.4 could you test 1.8 and post results for both :)
 
Ah, got ya. I'll try and find time to do a detailed scan on both dishes tomorrow but 4-6 transponders is fairly typical on the 1.8, last weeks scan on the 2.4 brought in 22 transponders.
 
Ah, got ya. I'll try and find time to do a detailed scan on both dishes tomorrow but 4-6 transponders is fairly typical on the 1.8, last weeks scan on the 2.4 brought in 22 transponders.

thanks looks like the 2,4 wins hands down the precision is a quality dish
 
Something for the weekend, wish me luck :-deadhorse

kufeed.webp
 
Back
Top