The 2.4M Fortec Star on C-Band.

aceb

Specialist Contributor
My Satellite Setup
TBS 6925
1.8m Precision + PLL Bullseye, motorised but probably siezed now.
2 x Sky Zone 2 for 28/19/13°E
My Location
Sussex
The much maligned Fortec Star, fit for nothing except the bin? So the facts are it's cheap, some of it like the base are nasty too. Many of them were bought in the UK by people trying to get free football from Middle East pointing sats on Ku so once you also factor in the 'throw it together' construction, probably drop a panel along the way and use an equally cheap LNB you end up with reports of these things are rubbish. Well they're not top quality that's for sure but pick one up at a reasonable price (mine was free to dismantle and take away) and you have a decent enough C-Band dish that does work, and as best as I can tell close to stated gain figures.

I constructed all this single handedly, first weighting down the base with some bags of ballast, bringing the elevation right up so it sat flat and then loosely attaching each petal individually. Once it was in one piece using a small shaped bit of wood each petal was aligned to the next one removing any differences in height, I've not been able to get one joint absolutely flat but it's within 1mm at the outer edge and fine in the centre. After that each petal was strung twice using cotton and with the help of good lady wife holding one side I removed the surprisingly small error and now all strings just touch in the middle.

Ditched the LNB bracket that ships with the Fortec and attach a spare scalar that came with the Titanium C1W, slide in the ESX241 and look for a signal! I've not done any fine tuning with fD or focal distances, the scalar is where it lands on the arms and the LNB slid in and out for maximum smoke.

The results so far speak for themselves, 15 transponders on 38E, 4 new ones on 8W, upto 9 now on 43W, 270 TV stations on 58W, 171 TV on 40.5W etc. Yesterday I managed to take some readings then swapped the ESX onto the 1.8 and re did the tests, signals are consistently 2-4dB stronger on the 2.4FS compared to the 1.8 Precision. Putting the C1W onto the FS produces almost identical results showing little difference in the performance of each LNB.

I guess the next step is to get the dish adapted to fit a polar mount so I'm looking out for something second hand I can refurbish over the winter then consider what to do with it. It's tempting to replace the Precision but as I sometimes use that for Ku it's not an easy decision.

IMG_20160928_171539.webp IMG_20160930_125049.webpIMG_20160930_125026.webp IMG_20160930_125038.webp IMG_20160930_125148.webp IMG_20160930_125347.webpIMG_20160929_184833.webp IMG_20160930_161358.webp
 
Some screengrabs from 43W this morning .

43we.webp

Woohoo_3169 3838_H_3600_20161002_125137.webp TV CAMARA_3169 3826_H_7500_20161002_121501.webp Paraguay TV_3169 3826_H_7500_20161002_121328.webp Nameless 3842_1_3169 3842_H_3600_20161002_104238.webp REDE CNT_3169 3847_H_2221_20161002_081330.webp Tandberg Service_3169 3838_V_4441_20161001_154513.webp
 
Nice to see a Silk Purse can be made out of a Pig's Ear!

Good stuff.
 
Brilliant, well done on doing it yourself mate also.

Sent from my thl_T7 using Tapatalk
 
Good to see another much critisised and maligned Forted 2.4m in service. I did not have to adjust anything on my Fortec and tracking the arc from 11-107.3w spot on, slightly lower db levels then with my 3m mesh.
 
Nice to see a Silk Purse can be made out of a Pig's Ear! Good stuff.
Brilliant, well done on doing it yourself mate also.
Good to see another much critisised and maligned Forted 2.4m in service..............

Yes, cracking job 'aceb'....................had a lot of these round here in the 90's.......must admit that I heard more bad than good about the quality and reception from the FS!

¿Any idea how old your FS it.....thanks?

Be safe. respect-048.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for fixing my 'quotes' error in the above post.......appreciated. respect-048.gif
 
Looking at that one it wants to be free. The petrol to collect it would be more than it's worth.
 
Nice one - aceb - just goes to show what can be achieved with a bit of careful assembly... with a bit of reinforcement it should stay good too :)
 
Sorry @lovelyperson I didn't think to ask how long they'd had it. It was purely by chance when we were doing a gig in their garden last summer that I spotted it unloved in the corner of the garden behind the marquee. I cheekily said that if they ever decide to get rid of it to give me first refusal. A week later they phoned up and said I could have it as she was fed up with seeing it, the only problem would be I'd have to dismantle it myself LOL It's come from somewhere inland so won't have been subjected to quite as much salt air as it would down here, the main problem is the base ring where it was sat in damp soil but for the moment it's fine.

I've been trying the C1W this evening and have picked up another few transponders on 38E bringing the total to 20, here's tonight's catches.

7 News, 3784V, 6.8dB
7 NEWS_0381 3784_V_2950_20161002_191849.webp

Star Asia News , 4064V, 5.6dB
STAR ASIA NEWS_0381 4064_V_2170_20161002_191542.webp
 
........... the only problem would be I'd have to dismantle it myself LOL ............

Some result...........just glad you added the 'LOL' bit........¿whow....bet you complained and struggled with the 'dismantle' task? :D:D

Superb. respect-048.gif
 
I used one too. Some of the things I didn't hate about it was the price (10% of my current 2.4m Channel Master setup) and the weight which made it possible to be easily moved around in the garden, looking for different satellites between the trees... something that you can't do with a mounted heavy dishes. In Ku band it didn't perform any better than a 1.8m dish but in C-band it was quite good. Not as good as a "real" 2.4m dish but definitely better than a 1.8m - probably closer to 2-2.2m dish, which is pretty good considering the price.
On the downside, it needed some fixing after each heavier storm and the feed arms couldn't support heavier C-band equipment (ring, omt, 2 lnbs, polarizer). If I'd be happy with just 40W, I'd probably keep using it. But I wanted 40W, 43W, 47W and 55W so I had to look for another dish. But it still would be much cheaper to set up 4 separate 240cm fortec stars and I'd get what I want. Unfortunately some people might not appreciate me doing that.
 
how would the 2.4 fortec compare with a 1.8 channelmaster?, would I get more channels?
 
how would the 2.4 fortec compare with a 1.8 channelmaster?, would I get more channels?

For Cband, certainly, as per the post above (a 2.2m is around 50% greater area).

But......................sicut canis domino cavendum surgat capiendo servare constantiam
 
^^^^^
Ecky-thump
 
^^^^^
Ecky-thump
Must be a colloquialism not:
As a dog owner must take care to maintain consistency rises
or, as Yandex translate says
"as a dog owner must be careful surgat taking to keep the reliability"
but maybe that went via Russian

Excellent work, aceb. I could never openly admit to owning one but if I did I'd try to find time to put it together on a pallet base with castors
 
Last edited:
Back
Top