The Aero Thread..

I have a friend on another group using a 1.2 Offset on 15W no problem at all.
I'm lucky here in Ireland as during the "Celtic Tiger" years lots of Eastern Europeans came over but wanted to watch TV from their homelands . Now the internet has taken over there are plenty of cheap large dishes about, some need a little TLC but hey.
I picked up 2 x 1.4m offsets €40, 1.8m Prime €50 and 1.2m Prime Stearable €30.
I'm using a 1.4 on 54W good strong signal and 1.8 on 25E not so strong signal but may need more tweeking. Might put other 1.4 on 15W next.
View attachment 92716
So signal wise ...which is stronger would you say
54W or 15 W ?
I can see as far over as 58w at my qth ..
 
Dell Optiplex 990 SFF PC, 3.1GHz i5-2400 CPU, 8GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVD, Windows 7

Yip that should do nicely :-) There are some good deals to be had and some being ex "business" machines are designed to run 24/7.
If anybody is interested in Aero then check out www.360radar.co.uk or Log in to Facebook | Facebook
This is the group I'm involved with feeding data (ADSB & Sat Aero) to the Sat Aero is work in progress bu to check out the live Flights contact the owner Philip Lee for a guest login.
 
So signal wise ...which is stronger would you say
54W or 15 W ?
I can see as far over as 58w at my qth ..
I personally haven't tried 15W yet(a friend in Bristol gets good decodes with a 1.2 offset) but was surprised at how strong 54W was. I pratted about (being a newby amature) all morning trying to find 54W by first tying to locate Ku band birds near by with no success. so I strapped on the C Band Lnb then used dishpointer.com satellite view to show me (graphically) where to point the dish, lowered the elevation to near minimum and bingo.
 
I personally haven't tried 15W yet(a friend in Bristol gets good decodes with a 1.2 offset) but was surprised at how strong 54W was. I pratted about (being a newby amature) all morning trying to find 54W by first tying to locate Ku band birds near by with no success. so I strapped on the C Band Lnb then used dishpointer.com satellite view to show me (graphically) where to point the dish, lowered the elevation to near minimum and bingo.
Looks like 54W is definately a target then for me ....
I presume tho' may be wrong ...that this bird covers Africa ...
I noticed on your screen grabs a plane out on Africas East coast ?

I'm even considering climbing ladders at some point to fit a C1PLL on 'Tom' my usauls driven TD110 ..
He has done sod all for a while now ...and may well be ok for 54W
rgds
 
Last edited:
Looks like 54W is definately a target then for me ....
I presume tho' may be wrong ...that this bird covers Africa ...
I noticed on your screen grabs a plane out on Africas East coast ?
54w Covers the Atlantic from west coast of africa to the pacific east coast of the americas. If you look at the text below the aircraft it shows which bird they were contacting
Quiet tonight but thats my 54W coverage now.
54.webp
 
Last edited:
54w Covers the Atlantic from west coast of africa to the pacific east coast of the americas. If you look at the text below the aircraft it shows which bird they were contacting
54W is looking even more appealing now ...
:D
 
Well ..I'm sorta commited (and I shoul be )...to trying a Tit C on my Tom (TDA110) Ku lnb holder and adapted it for a C band LNB ..
rgds
VSDSCF0007.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0006.webp
    DSCF0006.webp
    256.6 KB · Views: 7
Well ..I'm sorta commited (and I shoul be )...to trying a Tit C on my Tom (TDA110) Ku lnb holder and adapted it for a C band LNB ..
rgds
VSView attachment 92733
Yes I had to do some of that "Tom Foolery" as my 1.4 had a round arm an the Tit C holder was for a sqeure arm. Be careful up the Ladders !!!!!!!!!!!!!
12936555_10154080042711563_8378591818848650231_n.webp
12923374_10154080045106563_1890181455615358694_n.webp
12936686_10154084672936563_74926102432443423_n.webp
 
Last edited:
So ..here it is all ready for a life up top ..at the outrigger apex of the house..
certainly it is going to get some sh1tty weather so I'm hoping I've sufficiently waterproofed it ..
More to the point ..
Is it gonna work ?
54W on a 1.1 m dish ????
time will tell ..
DSCF0011.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0010.webp
    DSCF0010.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
So ..here it is all ready for a life up top ..at the outrigger apex of the house..
certainly it is going to get some sh1tty weather so I'm hoping I've sufficiently waterproofed it ..
More to the point ..
Is it gonna work ?
54W on a 1.1 m dish ????
time will tell ..
View attachment 92744
Great stuff, hope it doesn't get to windy while your up on the roof. I emailed Titanium about water ingress on offset dish and if it was feasible to drill a small drain whole at the back of the wave guide/chamber, this was their reply :-

"There will not be a problem with drilling a small drain hole in the back of the feedhorn throat. This will not affect the warranty as long as the hole does not damage the probes or penetrate the electronics section cavity.

Best Regards!
Titanium Satellite - Brian Gohl"
 
Comrades! Do not remember where I got it. It seems like some kind of universal LNB holder 40/62mm. It also has 23mm adapter, but can not find it ATM Let me know if some of you need it. You pay shipment. First come first served.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160425_215838 (Custom).webp
    IMG_20160425_215838 (Custom).webp
    151.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160425_215851 (Custom).webp
    IMG_20160425_215851 (Custom).webp
    102.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20160425_215902 (Custom).webp
    IMG_20160425_215902 (Custom).webp
    207.1 KB · Views: 13
Well fwiw the lnb is up on the TD110 ...but unfortunately went too dark before I had it connected ..
Left the ladders up ...so weather permitting I'll get it wired in tomorrow ..
This has taken a helluvalot out of me ..
I'll sleep like the dead tonight ..
;)
 
Steady the buffs, comrade .....
 
Ok ..
I guess it's something ..
I managed to get the polarity wrong ..but really that isn't important ...
I'm not gonna take it down again to fix this ..
But I have managed a low level lock on Tele Sahel at 5W 5.6db ...
Which I guess aint bad for a 1.1m dish ?
rgds
VSsahel.webp
 
So ..got the F15 to drive Tom to 54W ..
Time to start searching for Aero I guess ..
What frequency are you finding T channels Confucian ?
I have my fingers crossed ...but no guarantees ..
I cant change the declination on this one ...and am a good deal further East than you ..
rgds
VS
 
Damned good start anyhoo ..
here is Aero data at 15W on Tom ..
Niceaero tom 15w.webp
Pretty impressive for such a small dish I think ...and hopefully will be more tolerant of orbital declination ....as the beamwidth should play a lesser role ..
Smaller dish ...wider beamwidth...bigger capture range.
 
Last edited:
So ..got the F15 to drive Tom to 54W ..
Time to start searching for Aero I guess ..
What frequency are you finding T channels Confucian ?
I have my fingers crossed ...but no guarantees ..
I cant change the declination on this one ...and am a good deal further East than you ..
rgds
VS
Sorry was out "Working"
T Ch 1533,921,000
T Ch 1533,890,000
no my Dongle so may not be strictly accurate.
 
Damned good start anyhoo ..
here is Aero data at 15W on Tom ..
NiceView attachment 92758
Pretty impressive for such a small dish I think ...and hopefully will be more tolerant of orbital declination ....as the beamwidth should play a lesser role ..
Smaller dish ...wider beamwidth...bigger capture range.
Looking good, will check back later, working this morning ;-)
 
Back
Top