Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah that brings back a memory - a bus chassis with no bodywork being driven down the M6 at high speed :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I actually remember seeing a bus chassis being driven about at the Peterlee United depot., probably a National being stripped down to be Volvo'd up or something... O-Ha

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
:-rofl2

Well you know what it's like for us in the north of england, we're always the last to get new stuff, heck, we didn't get bendy buses until Boris sold them off... :-rofl2

(not that I like bendy buses, they induce sickness....... :-puke )

*ahem*

Use in the West Midlands

In early 2000 Travel West Midlands (TWM) took delivery of 14 Mercedes-Benz O405 articulated buses for its route 67 between Castle Vale and Birmingham. In late 2003 TWM bought 15 articulated Mercedes-Benz Citaro vehicles for Primeline routes in Coventry; the earlier O405s joined the Citaros in Coventry, although one was scrapped after a depot fire.
To replace the previous artculated vehicles on the 67 TWM purchased eleven Scania OmniCitys branded for the route.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_buses_in_the_United_Kingdom

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just for you AS. This should bring back some memories :-doh!

A nice blue and cream WMPTE double decker bus in the snow from your home town :-righton

I bet you've probably even been on that bus at some point :D

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It was mainly the Midland Red-Chaserider buses I went on, one or two blue WM ones, and a handful of the dilapidated old Green Bus services out of Cannock.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
*ahem*

Use in the West Midlands

In early 2000 Travel West Midlands (TWM) took delivery of 14 Mercedes-Benz O405 articulated buses for its route 67 between Castle Vale and Birmingham. In late 2003 TWM bought 15 articulated Mercedes-Benz Citaro vehicles for Primeline routes in Coventry; the earlier O405s joined the Citaros in Coventry, although one was scrapped after a depot fire.
To replace the previous artculated vehicles on the 67 TWM purchased eleven Scania OmniCitys branded for the route.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_buses_in_the_United_Kingdom

Brummyland isn't in the North of England, it's in the middle, hence "Midlands"... :-rofl2

On the same page under Operators:

"Go North East MetroCentre Shuttle (X66), also ex-London buses on route 58"

Saw one today actually, felt sick just watching the thing from across the road.... :-puke

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, tonight's the night BBC2 Analogue bites the dust, I'm sure someone will record it's final moments, but as for me, I'll just watch it live... O-Ha

Apparently, those who can't get naff all freeview-wise at the moment will be able to get something tomorrow, but, we shall see, kind of hard to be sure here given that Pontop Pike is just around the corner... O-Ha

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't bank on it - we are unsighted from Bilsdale (a mere 6 miles away) so Pontop Pike is supposed to be our "go to" mast.

But the distance is so great that even with the significant power increase and all the other technical gubbins that's supposed to make it better, the proof will be in the pudding.

I disconnected our old rooftop yagi many moons ago, so will experiment in the coming days with a "spare" one I have knocking about.

Mind you, now we have Satellite(s), it's only for interest.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think you'll be surprised when the full switch is complete, was having problems this morning with a breaking up picture on a customer's Tv in Reading and couldn't understand it, as the signal from nearby Hannington is normally excellent. On checking the Humax PVR manual tune, it had tuned in a low power Isle of Wight multiplex from Rowridge transmitter, some 56 miles away.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, that's it for BBC2, as of 00:21, 12/09/12 it ceased to broadcast in Analogue from Pontop Pike, just as "China on four wheels" finished...

Just have to wait for midnight on the 25th to hit, and it's bye bye to analogue... :(

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Seems they took out BBC1 aswell, unless they're shifting that about too...:confused

EDIT:
Yeah, they're shuftying things about... O-Ha

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Here's my little video of BBC 1 disappearing earlier this year.:)

[video=youtube;xADf26EvR5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADf26EvR5w[/video]

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hmm. It seems Pontop Pike is about 95km from here and the post-DSO coverage map shows sporadic to marginal coverage in my general area - and our local topography is not exactly helpful!

Still, never say die: I need to acquire a longer bit of electric string by 26 Sep (Stage 2) before having a play. I am going to take heart from Rolf's optimism.

The village is arranged within the local contours in such a way that I expect that reception will be less problematical from some houses, and there are a few that can get the main BBC Mux. (only!) under the existing regime but, of those, only one person has no Satellite dish.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
Hmm. It seems Pontop Pike is about 95km from here and the post-DSO coverage map shows sporadic to marginal coverage in my general area - and our local topography is not exactly helpful!

I suppose Emley Moor isn't a better prospect. I'm almost certain it will be further away than Pontop but would it work with your topography? Anyway, I'm not even sure what they transmit now. Burnhope (which is literally on the next set of hills at the back of my mum's bungalow) I think only transmits radio and Channel 5....and probably not that now....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, I had thought about Emily, but we have the only East/West hill in the Moors to the south of us and we are effectively located in a bowl hemmed in on three sides by hills.

Still, when I've got some more string, I'll try various Transmitters. Maybe even Bilsdale.

It's not a problem, though - just the usual hobbyist "I want it because it's there!"

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ha!

Lashed together a few Coax flyleads I had in a deeply buried bottom drawer, hung them out of the lounge window, balanced my antenna on a green wheelie-bin (levelled it up using an empty slug -pellet container), pointed it in the general direction of Le Pike and immediately got a sniff of 3 analogue signals (only barely there).

Am now tweaking using the best of those, then I'll have a go at pulling in BBC2 on DTT.

PS: It's raining - obviously.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Is the signal that bad even a high gain aerial and amp won't be enough ?

Emily moor is so strong here, I remember needing attenuator as I got pixelation on my ondigital box years ago, which they said was due to too much signal, more like the oversized high gain aerial they fitted on the roof.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have plugged in an old cheapo DTT box as it has "metering".

Now got the Mux on Channel 53: Film Four, Yesterday etc.

So Rolf's optimism looks as if it might be justified, as I believe that Mux is still on low power.

Tweaky tweaky.

Might try Bilsdale next. Emley Moor is diccifult as it's at the rear and the logistics are not easy - although I could hang the antenna out of the dormer window >............ Hmm.

No point in getting more kit as even small outlay can't be justified - this is "because it's there" not because it's in any way essential.

Edit It's hissing down now: Time for lunch!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not a sniff from Bilsdale.

The Digital UK site predicts "Poor" after DSO and offers no better option.

But I shall knock it on the head for now and await Phase 2 on 26 Sep.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I retuned this afternoon, not a jot of difference from our perspective, just the BBC Mux had moved, and for some reason, Dave on my TV has a poor signal (but then I am using one of them FM radio aerials instead of a bog standard set-top aerial)... O-Ha