The new "Bookmark this site..." message

B

bibi bear

This site is no longer my homepage! - U want feedback :
Get rid of that annoying "Bookmark this site before u forget message"!

Our URL is not that confusing such that even if a newbie surfer desires to return he'll easily be able to find this site w/out having it clutter up his favorites.

The message talks down to us (hey, why not just add "you moron" on to the end, and (again) IT'S ANNOYING !

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Bibi, which message, the only one that I've seen is the one at the top left of the page, I've never seen the one you mention.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Better let Chris answer this one then, I get no audio from this site at all. Using IE6.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, just heard it, I normally come straight to the forum page, which is what I've bookmarked, so I've missed it. Must confess I don't particularly like it, but then I'm not keen on audio on sites anyway, they tend to interfere with my simultaneous satellite viewing.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

Oh? and I was thinking of stealing it for my own amusement. I have a thing with German sounding commandants ;-)

Albeit, I am with Rolf on this. I had a message on my site that (sic) said "welcome to www.and.no.not.the.sky.faq.site.i.should.have.finished.by.now.site".

God bless - it really got on my Bristol Cities.

Its gone now, thankfully.

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The oral message on this site was here this morning

If it gave hints on how to bookmark it might be of use for the learners, but as it is it could be improved, maybe by having a female voice in dulcet tones.

Strange how something this trivial can get peoples backs up

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Totally agree, what really gets my back up is sites which use code to change your browser settings, forcing the browser to full view mode is my pet hate, opening multiple popups is my second.

May be a point to watch, if more people and forum members are visiting the main page to look at the updated news items, they are going to get the bookmark vocal every hit.

Rolf

B

bibi bear

Ur idea Rolf of comming straight into the forum is not a bad work-around, but I do enjoy seeing just who & what messages have been selected as headlines. U guys got to understand, sure maybe the idea of having a verbal message is useful (sure, it boosts "sales" or in this case hits) but to have it as a homepage and have my machine barking the same imperative at me at least 25x a day - No way! TGIG