There are no silly questions (except this one): Sky in Austria?

redwien

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie looking for advice, currently using a 80 cm dish for FTA german, spanish channels
My Location
Vienna, Austria
Hello All,

I'm completely new to this so I'm sorry if this is a basic question.

What do I need to do to get Sky in Austria? Dish size? receiver? Can I use a sky viewing card registered to my parents in Ireland?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

redwien

tapfit2004

lula member
Reaction score
Website
livesportsontv.eu
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400
fortecstar
sl65
quali tv ir
4 digiboxes
dragon cam
funcard7
sm3d12 motor
wavefrontier t90
90cm dish
1m dish
My Location
dublin, ireland
you will have no problem picking up most of the sky package with an adverage dish (80cm should get astra 2a,2b and eurobird) but astra 2d will require a much bigger dish and this is where rte, bbc and itv are. looking at lyngsat you might need something as big as 2m to guarentee unbroken coverage. there are threads on the forum about 2d reception in different parts of europe. as for the card, it will work anywhere as long as its in the sky box that it was registered in. dont connect the box to the phone line and dont tell sky you are using it abroad and you should have no problems.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are not looking to receive the ITV and BBC channels, then probably an 80cm to 1m will do. You should be fine if your parents subscribe for you.

PS. Probably 1.8m for Astra 2D

redwien

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie looking for advice, currently using a 80 cm dish for FTA german, spanish channels
My Location
Vienna, Austria
Thanks for the help:-worship.

One last question (well for now), my parents already have a sky account, if they order an extra digibox & card can that be then taken to Austria or would I need to use an address where it is the first sky account, if you understand what I mean?:confused

Cheers again!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They will need to order a full price second card and you would be best to buy your own digibox, but it will need to be registered to that address.