Thinking of getting a motorised set up

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
ok went for sonnets suggestion and ordered the Fracarro Penta 85 from High Definition LTD with a technomate motor and a DM800 from 61center.com. Havent ordered my LNB yet or brackets/fixing material yet - might try get those locally in Belfast. Will let you guys know how I get on when it comes, thanks for all the help.

One more question though... I've had a thought that I have Virgin media coax cable running under my floors from outside my house to my tv cabinet - would I be able to use this existing coax cable or does satellite use a different kind?

Thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
That cable would 'probably' be OK, Give it a go. If there's problems run a new one.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
'Cable' cable would be OK in short lengths, but from memory it has a larger outside diameter sheath and some horrible gum inside to keep water out. Wear gloves when cutting back the ends.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
I might be able to attach sat coax to the end and pull it through, will have a look when I'm home next. Have bad memories of crawling under the floor boards when I first bought the house to get the NTL cable to the other end of the room. Don't fancy ripping up my floor and doing it again.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I'm actually using a short length of 'it' on my minidish, there was some left behind. I put normal screw-on F's on it, seems to work OK.

defcon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1500CI+
Triax TD110
My Location
Northern Ireland, Fermanagh
I will be interested in how you get on with your DM800. I need a new box and like everything else, you can never decide on what to get.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Ok 61center.com is due stock next week of the DM800, was talking to the guy there briefly on live chat and he tells me they are the newest sims which are compatiable with most images. £200 delivered to Belfast seems good value for me, especially since he has confirmed the box will be tested before sent - saves me having to run the customs/dud box risk from ordering from China for not much more money for a single box. I've got a good solution in place already for channels which I won't discuss on here.

I'm migrating from a DM500c and thought I'd go for a dreambox again because the images are user friendly enough for the missus to use unlike some of the other closed source boxes I've used in the past. They also have better EPGs than ones I've tried in the past - although this is all on cable.

Just ordered a Inverto Black ULTRA LNB after being tipped off about it on this thread and reading up on it also. Going to decide wether to install myself or get an installer for me, would prefer to do it myself but I've about a short window next week for the installation before I'm off out of the country again and don't want to leave with half a job done.

Anyway will let you know my experiences with the DM800.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
got back home this morning and had a look at this old satellite which was there from the previous owner - I'm still waiting on my satellite and motor etc getting delivered, do you reckon I could attach the new satellite to that old satellite mount or do they make em different these days? :confused

Attachments

• 101_0700.JPG
    101_0700.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 61

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Unlikely as the bracket has to be dead plumb for the motor; easily achieved using a TK arrangement.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
sorry dude you've lost me with terminology, dead plumb and TK arrangement?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
satelliteman said:
Unlikely as the bracket has to be dead plumb for the motor; easily achieved using a TK arrangement.

Nah, I'd say that mount is fine for a dish and motor up to about 90cms.

The LNB alone shows just how long that dish has been up.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
No doubt the bracket is up to the job, but o/p just needs to check it is level before motor assembly.

Doesn't look all that level from the image.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
the dish is pointing in a completely different direction to all the mini dishes in the street also :cool:

Will try to add the dish and motor when it comes to see how it fits - not having to put up a new bracket would be half the battle for me as I don't have the power tools handy.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Prep work first, make sure motor fixing bracketry/mast is level first hand. If it's not, all your good work setting up will fail as you'll have tracking problems :)

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
fair enough, a spirit level I can do. Will be easier to walk through the guides when I have all the components in my hand.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The pole doesn't have to be absolutely vertical you know.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:

You're right, for the fully equipped and experienced installer, allowances can be made for a non-plumb mast. But and it is a big but, for the average hobbyist, get the mast as plumb as you can, as it will avoid a three page long thread on why you can't properly receive the satellites on the edge of the arc. ;)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Channel Hopper said:

True.....

and I always thought it needed to be, but after a bit of experimentation found out that it is not necessarly the case, and how to correct for the error. But the installation is far far easier and quicker with a vertical mount. A non vertical mount is just making life difficult unecssarily.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Have to agree, it's far eaiser and faster to get the mast plumb, than it is to adjust for it.

I would be changing the mast for T&K's before adding a motor

smiffie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD 500Gb X 2, Dreambox 500S X 2, VBox 2, Jaeger 99G H to H 36v, Inverto SilverTech Quad LNB 0.2dB, 95cm Maxx Digital Mesh Dish 42E-45W, Technomate TM 2600 H to H Diseqc, Inverto Ultra black LNB 0.2dB , 85cm Transparent Dish 42E-1W.
My Location
North West England, UK
I've fitted a few systems using that type of bracket and you can get them plum, not easy but the collar at the top is usually slide-able and the bottom hole is usually slotted. Spacers can also be used before finally locking up the top bolts. The main issue I've seen is that because the gauge of steel for the pole can be quite thin, the pole can get distorted, especially if a bracket has been over tightened. You end up with a different reading on the level each side of the pole, but it can be straigntened.