This Freeview Thingie

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Excuse my ignorance here please chaps.

Most of the time I'm in Egypt - but when I'm back in Blighty I stay out in Suffolk, where according to the BBC info page (the one where you plug in your postcode) Freeview is not available.

Now, I understand the signal is picked up using an aeriel - is it possible to pick up the freeview signal with something other than an aeriel for these remote locations?

Told you it was a stupid question

Cheers

Richard

PS - Come on ENGLAND!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not as such Richard, that's why there has been such an outcry about the withdrawal of the Solus cards for FTV satellite. The postcode checker for terrestrial Freeview is somewhat less than reliable though, I spend a lot of my time proving them wrong.

Many of the large electrical stores will take back Freeview receivers if you cannot receive the channels, so may be worth trying that route.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Rolf

I've also been reading about "wideband" aeriels - do you know how to recognize such a beastie - do aeriels have ID plates etc.

Thanks

Richard

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A wideband aerial will usually have plastic plugs fore and aft coloured black. Any other colour and the aerial is for a particular part of the UHF band only

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Thanks Monsieur 'Opper

As I told you all I know nowt abour aeriels - only just to grasp the begining of this Sat Stuff

So ..... whereabouts on an Aeriel are the fore and aft plugs - on the bit where the coax comes out, or on the coathanger itself?

Sorry ...

Richard in Alex (in Ramadan)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On the coathanger, at each end - saves you poking your eye out when it falls off the roof

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Thanks - its in the attic - no eye ladder climbing for me!

Will this make any difference to picking up DDT. Its hunky dory on ATT?

Richard

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Digital in most cases uses different frequencies to analogue and therefore they may also be in a different frequency group

If you are really unlucky you may have analogue off one transmitter and digial off another -- or not at all

The postcode checke results vary wildly in accuracy, its worth knocking on a couple of neighbours doors to see if they have had success.

dippy

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Digital in most cases uses different frequencies to analogue and therefore they may also be in a different frequency group

If you are really unlucky you may have analogue off one transmitter and digial off another -- or not at all

The postcode checke results vary wildly in accuracy, its worth knocking on a couple of neighbours doors to see if they have had success.

Totally agree regards the postcode checker. I`ve fitted dozens of boxes for people in an area the checer says noooo way! :-righton

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Just sent a local registered aeriel man an enquiry - we'll see what he comes back with

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Ooops can't even spell aerial!

Anyway the expert reckons that although we could pick up the signal where I live it would not be of sufficient strength to enable any enjoyable viewing, and he suggests the old 47cm black mesh sat dish.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

What's the odds that as soon as I put a dish up that the local transmitter is the next one to go DTT!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
At least there is now a good choice of FTA receivers for satellite reception of the BBC

I would advise going for a basic motorised system, as it offers far more choice to you, than the FTA stuff on 28 East

O

Old Fred

Just for completeness, the cheapest solution at the time of writing is probably a used Sly Digital system with a £23.50 FTV card.

Fred

dippy

Reaction score
Maybe Old Fred, but some channels that are fta on freeview are encrypted on s*y now there are no new solus cards supplied.
Also if you aquire a used s*y digital system why would you need a fta card.
Satellite V terrestrial. If your just looking for lots of fta tv then Channel Hoppers is the best solution by far!