Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Use a bigger dish :D

This is an old thread - look at the posting dates. Things have changed somewhat at 5E and 1W since this was started - almost all the old satellites have been retired and replaced with new ones so the transmission characteristics will have changed somewhat.

Adc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
End User
My Location
London
Thanks. is a bigger dish really the only way to get more of teh channels through?

The two channels we are looking for are TV2 and Rikstoto. If wee can get these some other way maybe?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Those two channels are on the most unfavourable beam for you - the Thor 3 Nordic spotbeam. Bigger dish required.

TV2 Norway may be possible via Thor 5 or Sirius 4. Rikstoto is only on Thor 3.

You do know you will also need a subscription for those two channels?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Yeah, things have changed since this thread was started. We used to get good reception of everything from 1w on an 80cm dish in Switzerland but then Thor 5 came along and made reception from the T1 beam impossible with that setup.

Adc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
End User
My Location
London
Thanks. Has anyone tried using sling box as we hvae a system in Norway so i am thinking we could use sling box to get the channels over to France this way? We have card with full subscription both in France and in Norway.

Or any other suggestions...??

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I've got a sling box with 1.2mb upload and a sling catcher at the other end but quality isn't that great, especially on a big TV. I haven't tried if the remote works with a Canal Digital box though as I just use the built in DVB-T tuner in the sling box. You also need to make sure your ISPs at both ends have fairly large or no download and upload limits as video shifts quite a bit of data.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
timo_w2s said:
Yeah, things have changed since this thread was started. We used to get good reception of everything from 1w on an 80cm dish in Switzerland but then Thor 5 came along and made reception from the T1 beam impossible with that setup.

Timo, I also lost the Thor 5 channels on my 80cm dish, and am quite near you (I'm in Austria).

Any idea what size dish is now needed?

-Wally

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
wallycharlo said:
Timo, I also lost the Thor 5 channels on my 80cm dish, and am quite near you (I'm in Austria).

Any idea what size dish is now needed?

-Wally

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't as this change happened just weeks before we moved out of Switzerland so I never bothered to investigate further. It was kinda good timing really for us as the signal levels increased in the UK. I feel for you guys though that lost the signals...

4wheeler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.25m dish
MTI HighLine LNB
Dreambox 7025
My Location
South Eastern France
As an FYI, I'm able to receive all _vertical_ feeds on Thor5, T1, most of the time on my 1.2m dish, located west of Nice. However, have lost all horizontal feeds since the move to Thor5. I suspect I have no choice but getting a bigger dish... Any idea if a 1.5 m will be enough or if I need to go for a 1.8m?

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Get a ASC Signal 1.8m dish, then you know you get a good quality dish that performs for it's size.

patguen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter fiber dish
canal digital pak DK
My Location
Montpellier, France
hi,

I'm living in Montpellier in south of France and recently I lost all signals on 11403V feeds on Thor 5 with a 1 meter fiber dish.
I use canal digital pack to watch DR1, DR2, TV2 lorry etc... actually I can only watch channels on 11293H (TV2, TV2 zulu etc...)
I have ordered a 1.2m and will let you know if the signal gets better.

patguen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter fiber dish
canal digital pak DK
My Location
Montpellier, France
hi,

I'm living in Montpellier in south of France and recently I lost all signals on 11403V feeds on Thor 5 with a 1 meter fiber dish.
I use canal digital pack to watch DR1, DR2, TV2 lorry etc... actually I can only watch channels on 11293H (TV2, TV2 zulu etc...)
I have ordered a 1.2m and will let you know if the signal gets better.

4wheeler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.25m dish
MTI HighLine LNB
Dreambox 7025
My Location
South Eastern France
Thanks Telia, good advice. 1.8m is the way to go.

afterlife

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox7020 irte 2meter
My Location
france
Well this is my first post. At Toulouse and getting thor with irte 2 meter -90% signal 95% quality.