To cut or not to cut?

fjsc3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
portugal
Hi all,
having set up one dish pointing at 13E, I would like to add a second one pointing to 28.2E Astra/Eurobird.
Three questions:

1- one of the cables is of the thin/mini variety (WF65 perhaps? - it says 95db on the outer sleeve), and is 30m long. I can cut it at the 15m point and insert an amplifier there to compensate for long cable run losses. Would that be a good idea? The reason for asking beforehand is twofold: first, after the cable is cut there's no going back, and if inserting an amplifier is a mistake, then I would avoid wasting money.

2- If I were to insert an amplifier, I could also add a diseqc to switch between the two satellite feeds at the same point. That would certainly introduce further losses of course. If all of this is a bad idea, then the alternative to getting both satellites and avoid cutting any cables would be to insert a motor on the existing dish and run one single cable (a 30m run of WF65 - note that the last 15m of this cable cannot be altered, and this is the only cable reaching the receiver. The conduit is too cramped as it is.)

3- My current receiver is a Dreambox, and I would also like to watch Freesat on 28.2E. Would buying a Freesat card allow the box to receive both satellites without any hassles? As I said, I cannot add a second dedicated Freesat receiver, since there's only one cable reaching the point where the TV and receiver are located.

Your input on this is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi Fj ...
Generally speaking in line amps are only really of any use for cable runs in excess of 100 m ...and then they should be positioned approx halfway along the cables length ..not at the lnb ..or receiver ends ..
Chances are you don't need one ..
Just a good quality lnb and a decent quality cable ..
I personally am no fan of the thin shotgun style cable ...which is really only suitable for Sky setups.
rgds
VS