Help Required TomTom Go Live 825 - Device Too Warm?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi,

My girlfriend's TomTom Go Live 825 is experiencing some issues with charging - in that it won't. Every time it's plugged in, it just says "Charging paused - device too warm". It doesn't matter how cold it is (outside ambient temperature is about +5C), it always says that. It does it from the cigarette lighter socket as well as from a PC.

I've been advised that it might be a thermistor somewhere inside the device - does anyone know where it might be? Is it on the board or part of the battery?

Took it all apart and found what looks like an SMD thermistor (arrowed). But... this is a guess.

View attachment 60773 View attachment 60772

There are no markings on the silk screen next to this component other than S1 and S2 nearby, which can be seen from the pictures.

TomTom are being less than useless. The device is just out of warranty and are asking 105 Euros for a repair. What's making it worse is that they are refusing to refund the Live service subscription that my girlfriend very recently renewed and cannot use due to empty battery. For some reason, it won't work even if the device is running on external power (no choice here!).

TomTom devices seem so poorly made. Last year, her 820 blew up in a puff of smoke (literally). A zener along with a capacitor simply blew up. This is the reason she bought this new one, which lasted just over a year. I repaired the old one by replacing the blown parts (SMDs don't make it easy), which I was using successfully until recently.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Does it do that the second it's plugged in or does it start up and then after a minute or so?
As you have it in bits, try and power it up without the battery connected, it could be the battery is shot, does it bulge out in the middle or is it sort of soft to touch under pressure?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It does it straight away. Someone did say that it could be the battery... The datasheet for the Broadcom 59040 power management chip (which manages the charging of li-ion/lipo batteries) says it supports on-battery temperature monitoring - that's where the temperature sensor should be (which is almost certainly to be in silicon, speaking to the 59040 over i2c, not a discrete component).. We'll see.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Have you tried the Jeremy Clarkson toolkit yet? :D

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't think the SWMBO would be impressed with those kind of efforts!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Does it work as a sat-nav when plugged in ? If so, keep using it until it dies.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes but not live services