too many sub-forums

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
I think that it is very confusing to browse the forum when there are ~25 sub-forums, maybe you could combine some of them, some examples:

"Transponders & channels" AND "Where Can I Find These Channels?" TO just "Transponders & channels"

"CAMS a decoders" AND "Cards & Programmers" AND "Magic Module" TO "CAMS/Cards/Programmers"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough Leonard, a couple of those have only recently been formed. We started the Magic Module forum mainly because many of the issues involved are peculiar to that CAM and it was easier to do a FAQ section in a dedicated forum. The separation of CAMs and Decoders and Cards and Programmers has always been there and appears to work quite well as is, but we can understand how it could be confusing to some at first sight.

The Where can I find these channels section in the transponders and channels group, was meant to be a type of FAQ, but has yet to take off and may well be merged if it does not work.

If you compare the layout in this forum compared to many others, we actually have a lot less sections.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
I think that it is very confusing to browse the forum when there are ~25 sub-forums, maybe you could combine some of them, some examples:

Ive not found a SUB forum, (since the HMS conquerer incident)
and Tam Dyel letting the cat out of the bag, I`m pretty sure
Sub forums come under the OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sub forums are prone to running aground !

I think the present list works extremely well

I know I can ignore the ones which I have limited experience, and the yellow icon on the left shows a new post or topic

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I like this forum just as it is. There are some real rambling forums around but this one is efficient, helpful and relaxed without being too starchy. A lot is down to the moderators but the big bouquets have to go to Chris and Rolf. From what Rolf said it's costing Chris money and I would like to make a contribution.

Jimbo

Nightrider

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think this forum is very great:)! Only thing is that I see this forum seems to be very quiet in consideration of 4.400 members. Anyway I am very new so maybe I got a wrong impression and it's just quiet these days.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is a bit quiet at the moment Nightrider, but it does tend to be a little quiet in January normally.

PS. Glad you like it here. :)

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Count your lucky stars Nightrider (here in RUSS ABBOTS) MAD HOUSE, 3 screaming kids and fire breathing Dragon, its nice to sit and Vedge, but you ge good 1 , 2 ,1 help here, and no restricting
(strangleing rules)

Nightrider

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Wow I'm pleasantly surprised that in such a short time two guys replied...I guess I was too fast with saying that it's quiet here :D
thanks for replying :)

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
We have little to say until were asked a Technical Question
(then we have ****all to say)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, many a true word spoken in jest. :D

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
I did say TECHNICAL Big R

ps hows your conax hangin

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just hanging there.......waiting for the Freecam version.

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Go and get yourself a Conax cam, Its just about workin on the
Hummie 5400, with latest keys, But no probs on 3.03 cam, and i think this will be par for the course (monthly) seems weird that
all those with patched cams are struggleing to put new keys in
and have it (workin) Me and C,H, (inbuilt conax ) have no difficulties, (for a change) me anyway. DAVE

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
@ Burnt Chips. You've got a dragon as well? Must be a Manc thing. Word has it that they're bred in Denton.

@ Jimbo. I'm with you. The Forum has a good 'feel' and the quality of contributions is generally high, sometimes even literate and occasionally dangerously intellectual. Most important, however, is that fact that the information is accurate, reliable and, above all generously and freely given.

The number and style of sub-forums is frequently reviewed and suggestions are always welcome. Another good feature is the willingness to change formats when cirumstances change.

:) :)