Took delivery of my Gibby...

RimaNTSS said:
Is that possible to put that motor upside-down? Not on top of pole but from the very bottom. I think I have seen some picks people are done like that. Than the mechanical issue is not an issue anymore.

If you can find the pics I'd be interested in seeing them ..
It can't hurt to consider the option ..
;)
rgds
VS
 
Ok ...no one appears to have the gibby 1.2m plus polar mount in stock ...but not wanting to persue this unless its viable anyway..
Can someone answer me a couple of questions..
How long an actuator would I need for full arc coverage ?
and if I were to go down this route ..what clearance behind the pole (in my case to the wall) would be required to allow the actuator to be fitted ?
The pole on the current assembly uses 18 inch T&Ks ..and presumably the polar mount would add a few more inches on this south facing wall..
also I assume the actuator wouldn't stick out at 90 degrees to the pole ...possibly angled upwards..?
any help on this would be welcome..
Otherwise I think the dish will remain fixed at ground level ...and that would be such a waste.
rgds
VS
 
This shows the 1.5 on a polar mount and the actuator appears to stick out almost horizontal away from the rear of the dish, the PM is the same for the 1.2 and 1.5m. I'm surprised how coarse the movement is at the extremes of the viewable arc, looks like about 3 pulses per ° at 61W! Did you try Hisat, think they are the 'official' UK supplier, it's who gibby sent me too when I enquired about a new reflector.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSx77P_RKH4&feature=related
 
Thanks Paul..
that actuator certainly looks to stick out a long ..long way behind the pole..
I think I'm going to have to re-think ..
Possibly a TM2600 which _claims_ Dish Size: 1.4 Meter Max (20 Kg)

which in theory is within my limitations..
Problem is attaching to such a thin motor stub..
I saw an adapter plate earlier in the thread ..but who supplies this ?
I can't find it listed...but then ..what do call it when I search ?
cheers
VS
 
Give Hisat a phone, I know they stock the clamping plates.

Stab do a really nice spacers the DS01 for the Gibertini mounts but good luck finding them.

_http://www.stab-italia.com/prodotto.php?cod=F209580

Edit just remembered you'd need a 55mm tube on the diseqc motor.
 
The picture i posted is from my dish that i got from Hi-Sat in wales, just my opinion but this dish is just not viable at height on a Diseqc motor no way i tried mine on a STAB HH120 and it wobbled in a slight breeze ( I had to try ) thats why i went with the Moteck H180 36v and now on the polar mount with 18" actuator its rock solid.

There is no way with clearance it will go on 18" T&K's just not enough room at the back, Just for reference my ARC is 57° east to 45° west and i still have a fair bit left in the 18" jack if i wanted further but the polar mount restricts you anyway.
 
I will be putting my Fibo on 24" TK brackets tomorrow, so will let you know how much clearance there is for a 18" jack.
 
The actuator on my Gibby on an SMW polar mount needs about 15" behind the mast at the top of the arc. But I only have an arc span of 45E to 37.5W at present. As the best placing of the actuator was a compromise on my part, I should be able to extend its arc travel by modifying the position of the actuator where it clamps to the PM later.
 
Vipersan: I have 1,5m prime-focus antenna on polar-mount driven with 24" actuator which sticks out towards the wall for almost 70cm. In your case, I think, that would be enough to use 18" actuator or maybe even 12"r. But, anyway it is better to have proper berthing for Gibbi on your wall. I would add another piece of metal from beneath of your original T bracket to have easy access for adjustments. And secondly, I would drill at least 40mm hole in the wall and put plastic pipe for all wires (attaching picture of my pipe:-flash)
 
Hi Rima ..I very much like your Idea...
and had an Idea of my own to add to it see picture ..
I have amongst my scrap some scaffolding pipe and 2 x 24 inch T & Ks ..

If thinking the K could be repurposed with the end of a piece of Pipe embedded in the wall itself ...but would scaffolding pipe be a big enough diameter I wonder ?
Obviously I'd need a welder who'd nake sure the custom right angled pipe mount was vertical when welded to the 24 inch K ..
That would be crucial so I'd bolt it through first to make sure it didn't move ...but the right angled steel pipe/scaffolding or similar... might be a problem.


I am actually debating the idea of sinking another length of pipe into the ground in front of the 1.8 PF ..which would mean I'd have to turn the Gibby to 90 degrees to the PF ie looking West ..in order to use the PF when pointing South...to minimise the blocking effect..

So much to consider ..as I am limited for space..
rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
So much to consider ..as I am limited for space..


VS


You are more than welcome to make use of my garden ..................
 
Tivù said:
You are more than welcome to make use of my garden ..................
Errr ...'G' thanks
:)
That would be a mighty long cable run ...and I expect there would be some losses along the way...
;)
 
Vipersan said:
Obviously I'd need a welder who'd nake sure the custom right angled pipe mount was vertical when welded to the 24 inch K ..
That would be crucial so I'd bolt it through first to make sure it didn't move ...but the right angled steel pipe/scaffolding or similar... might be a problem.
VS
Of course welding job is necessary, only amateurs use everything out of shelf :confused:. But even if pipe is not plumb than polar mechanism could also have bolts to make antenna vertical which is vital for polar-mounts, especially vertical in direction East-West.
 
Tivù said:
You are more than welcome to make use of my garden ..................

Oi....he can use mine.....and not worry about planning permission.....
 
Back
Top